Dart Sport bumper on Swinger?

-

MidnightSwinger

Reaction score
I just picked up a rear bumper for my 74 swinger, and I didn’t realize until comparing it to my stock bumper that it is not the same, it’s a 1973 Dart Sport bumper with brackets.

Has anyone ever put a 73 duster/dart sport rear bumper on a 73+ Swinger? I think it might actually look better than the 5mph bumper.

After searching I’ve found people who do this swap on their 74+ Dusters and Dart Sports successfully, but nothing on a Swinger. I’m assuming that it’s the same process for the swinger, but thought I would ask.

Last edited:
I haven't done 1 personally. It will look like a 73. Dart sport and swinger use the same bumper. Duster is totally different so just make sure what you have is actually a dart not a duster.

I haven't done 1 personally. It will look like a 73. Dart sport and swinger use the same bumper. Duster is totally different so just make sure what you have is actually a dart not a duster.
1973 swinger has tail lights in the bumper. 1973 Dart Sport does not.

Both 1973’s, then the ‘74

View attachment 1715986797

View attachment 1715986798

2665A80A-7B52-4A8A-AA94-3467CE2197D9.jpeg

20F4DE98-454A-455A-AA9C-36354B46EFFC.jpeg

541509E5-F409-4253-8B59-EA509EAD409D.jpeg

Last edited:
Front or rear bumper? I put a 74 Sport front bumper on my 73 Sport. Don't know if that helps you or not. I used the 73 brackets and had to do a bit of cutting / welding but the 74 bumper fits fine and looks great. See photo.
Dart 1.JPG

If you search on here, you'll find a great wealth of people that have swapped this n' that, but someone does need to make sticky on the hydraulic bumper mounts and all that. It's confusing for sure.

Look for the fella that sectioned his and tucked 'em in. Then you'll never look at yours the same way again.

If you search on here, you'll find a great wealth of people that have swapped this n' that, but someone does need to make sticky on the hydraulic bumper mounts and all that. It's confusing for sure.

Look for the fella that sectioned his and tucked 'em in. Then you'll never look at yours the same way again.
I’ve searched and have not found anything on my specific swap.

I have seen the thread you are talking about, he did a great job,but too much work for me and I don’t want to re-chrome two bumpers.

I don't think it's a direct bolt on, personally I like the 74-76 rear but the location of the bumper is lower. I imagine you would need to find out where you'd put your tail lights too.
I'm really tempted to weld the rear end of a 68 dart into my 70...I have the parts but that's how ugly the rear view is to me just a dumb design in my opinion

Go look at my thread on my 74 Dart sport guess I will document how I made them today tucked. Absolutely no after market for them. I'm willing to make for 74 and up Dart Sport should work on Duster the mounts 74 and up

IMG_20221002_151839.jpg

IMG_20221002_151847.jpg

IMG_20221002_114340.jpg

IMG_20221002_141738_01.jpg

I just picked up a rear bumper for my 74 swinger, and I didn’t realize until comparing it to my stock bumper that it is not the same, it’s a 1973 Dart Sport bumper with brackets.

Has anyone ever put a 73 duster/dart sport rear bumper on a 73+ Swinger? I think it might actually look better than the 5mph bumper.

After searching I’ve found people who do this swap on their 74+ Dusters and Dart Sports successfully, but nothing on a Swinger. I’m assuming that it’s the same process for the swinger, but thought I would ask.

Looks good but Are you going to finish the bumper so it's tucked into the factory bumper notches on the quarter panel ?
I thought about modifying the bumper I'm just not sure if I want to.

Looks great, does this replace the bumper shocks and the steel reinforcement? Do you have any more pics of the brackets you made?
Yes this replaces the factory shocks. I'm making a second set tomorrow and will get pictures more detail. I plan to start selling these. First set was I had scrap stuff why not. Those I will keep next set well make with a jig setup. Better cuts and welds as I ran out of gas sigh

IMG_20221002_114340.jpg

IMG_20220924_093536.jpg

IMG_20220922_200336.jpg

How much were you thinking? I would be interested
100.00 plus shipping Im also adding a piece that will go in the frame rail use the shock bolt location to distribute the load. I have to do a steel order tomorrow as I'm up to 4 sets to make. I will weigh measure and see what boxes I need to buy so they can ship safely.

100.00 plus shipping Im also adding a piece that will go in the frame rail use the shock bolt location to distribute the load. I have to do a steel order tomorrow as I'm up to 4 sets to make. I will weigh measure and see what boxes I need to buy so they can ship safely.
It also replaces the steel reinforcement plate? I can bolt the bumper right to the brackets? If so count me it for a set.

It also replaces the steel reinforcement plate? I can bolt the bumper right to the brackets? If so count me it for a set.
Yes will look like this with a piece goes in frame for the shock mount bolt. The long piece goes off the side that mounts to car inside.

IMG_20221002_114340.jpg

Looks like I got five sets to make glad this makes people happy. I was pissed off lack of 74 to 76 support.

Looks like I got five sets to make glad this makes people happy. I was pissed off lack of 74 to 76 support.
People hate on the beak cars. I love the way mine looks and I even like the bumper I just want to remove the 80+ Lbs of steel and shocks and tuck the bumper in a little.

I think you are doing good work, and your price point is attractive. As someone who has been wanting to do something different than drain and compress the shock, this is a game changer. I can be your Guinea pig to see how they look/work on the Swinger body style.

-
Back