Dart/Valiant wagon tailgate skins

-

m880cummins

Reaction score
Found this guy on Ebay Australia who makes Valiant tailgate skins. Seems like every A body wagon has a rusted out tailgate so this may breathe new life for many of our wagons.

I am going home from college this weekend to look at my tailgates and see what I'm going to do. I have an NOS tailgate for a 65 Dart and 2 66 Dart tailgates with rust. I'd rather not use the NOS one on my wagon I'm restoring so I'm going to get some measurements and compare them with the repro.

The price is not bad but, shipping would be killer. I figured if there is enough interest, we can do a group buy and get say, 10 skins sent over to save on shipping...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ap5-6-and-vc-valiant-wagon-tailgate-skin-repair-panel-/350500255908

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CHRYSLER-VALIANT-AP5-AP6-VC-UTE-TAILGATE-SKIN-/350495981529

The only thing I'm really questioning about them is the fact that cars over seas were not EXACT in terms of body line placement and such in comparison to US cars. For some reason, the bottom crease looks a little different on these than ours...

Charlie

I might be in for 1 or 2 of these if the shipping (AU to US) and shipping (US port of entry to AZ) wasn't too much!

I would also be interested in one as long as we can get the price into the realm of the reasonable. ;>)

I'm starting to think that the shipping would be astronomical even shipping 10 at a time. I may try making one my self using a steel brake and an english wheel this christmas season. Its a pretty simple panel besides the slight convex curve it has all the way across.

Charlie

I have been looking for a tailgate for my 65 Dart wagon for 5 years now... I am very interested in this as well... The fact that you have an NOS one is just dumbfounding to me since I can't even find a used one that is decent out there... I thought about fabbing one up as well but if someone can make decent skins for them I am definitely interested. No one else asked so I will... If you aren't going to use the NOS one what do you intend to do with it? If you would sell it please let me know... and don't laugh at me for asking lol

You may be right - the Australian ones could be different. I am not into the Aussie Valiants (even though I live here) but I do see some station wagons advertised for sale here as "Canadian bodied". So maybe the Aussies built some and some were imported as CKD kits (which we did out here during the 40's and 50's.

This period, when the early A's came out, was also when Chrysler Australia was trying to up the Australian content for imported vehicles and in fact I read somewhere that our '67 (VC) Valiant was over 90% Australian built, so i'd say that the repros out here may not fit your doors.

Just trying to help but as I say, I'm no expert.

I don't know, that sure looks like it would fit to me... I can't imagine them changing the dimensions of the gate that much but I could be wrong... Who wants to be the guinea pig? LOL

I Would also be interested in the NOS one if it becomes available for my 65 Wagon but if not and we had enough people maybe we could do a group buy to help with the cost of the shipping and if we got a lower price per then maybe the shipping wouldn't feel so bad. Just a thought

Well,

I picked up that gate at carlisle 2 years ago on a Saturday afternoon. The guy was a big time NOS sheetmetal seller but didn't know what he had so...we got the benefit of the deal. My dad is prying at me to mount it on the car but I'm afraid to use it and would rather hang it on the wall as "just in case". It also came with an NOS window crank. If it was a 1966 tailgate, I would use it but, being for a 1965, the taillight holes are different, trim holes are different and I would have to remove the skin, flip the regulator brackets side to side and modify the crank opening so I can use my NOS power rear window setup. The power window setup is the only option the car is missing...

When I am home, I'll snap pictures of the 'gate with measurements and then get in contact with the guy in Australia. IF they are the same, we may be able to get a better price on the skins and shipping on a group buy.

I will keep you all posted. Glad to see some interest!

Charlie

Thanks Charlie! I wouldn't normally consider the expense of a large NOS part for an early a body car, but it's a factory v8 4 speed car so it has to be done right! And I need the manual crank set up as well... The skins are a HUGE deal for us wagon guys if they are the right dimensions... Thanks for all of your research on this so far!
Rocky

If this deal works out, I'll post a picture-heavy write up on my experience with restoring the tailgate assembly. The other thing I am thinking about is the factory weatherstrip that ran along the glass for the tailgate allowed water to travel through the 'gate and exit out the bottom. I'm thinking about using something that swabs the glass and has a tighter seal. The closest product I can think of off the top of my mind is the door catwhiskers for a 1972-1993 truck.

Rocky65, that's really cool yours is a 4 speed car. Ours now has an A500 OD/Lockup trans which is pretty nice to have for crusing. Once I get my wagon finished, I plan to keep some spare parts on the side but much of it will be sold. I have some manual window stuff and have things ranging from interior pieces, trim, lights, glass etc.

P.S. I have some NON tinted quarter panel glass I would like to get rid of. I don't want to trash it.

Charlie

Thanks Charlie, I have a parts wagon with the spare quarter glass already but I may get in touch with you on some of the smaller stuff. I can see why you went with the a500, I want to put one in my '74 Dodge pickup at some point... gas is killing me! Keep us posted on your upgrades...

I agree with Aussieplymouths that starting in the 1967 model year the Australian cars have generally unique sheetmetal. The 60-62 Aussie Valiants for example are north American knock down kits with right hand drive being the only difference. 1963-66 year model Plymouths are basically north American models assembled in Australia with minor changes like full radiused rear wheel well openings and of course right hand drive. I'd be interested in an early skin for a 60-62 if that's what they're remaking. 63-66 are different enough that it would be simpler to patch mine than try to use the later panel on my early car.

Good news fellas,

I finally got a response from the seller and he would be glad to work with us! So, when I am home over Thanksgiving, I'm going to get a bunch of measurements off my NOS gate and send them over to see how accurate the reproduction is. If it is nearly spot on, well I guess there won't be any more rusty tailgates on the forum...

As soon as I get a good idea how accurate the panels are, we will do a tally, figure shipping and go from there. Remember, the more we buy, the cheaper it gets with shipping and possibly a group price...

Charlie

At the moment, I have no new news on the venture. I'm deep into metal work on the wagon so in the next month I will get my tailgate out, blast it and then start talking to the guy again who makes skins.

Charlie

Cool! Thanks Charlie, I'm tearing my 65 down to the bare bones and will be starting the metal work this spring. Keep us posted...

-
Back