Dart wagon rear window handle, Doh!!

-

brad2v

Reaction score
So, I've never had a key for the manual window lock on the tailgate of the 'ol wagon. The other day, I removed it, which involves pulling nearly EVERYTHING out of the gate, glass, regulator yada-yada. Took it to the local locksmith, he makes me up 3 keys. Re-assemble the handle, lock no workee. Screw with it a bit, still no, something is missing or broken in the mechanism. So, I guess i'm on the hunt for a handle. :banghead: Oh well, the regulator and handle all got cleaned and lubed, the glass sure winds up and down nice.

Ha ha, I wasn't smart enough to take pics during surgery, and it is rather dark out now. How 'bout tomorrow?

we'll let ya slide till tomorrow, maybe we can walk ya thru fixin it, I'll dig up mine for waggin II and disect it to see what could be wrong with your's at this point I'm not sure if i will be needing it or not so it's in the "Keeper" pile... I actually don't lock any of mine in case someone wants to steal something from inside the car I don't want to need a new glass and what got stolen too
Ha ha, I wasn't smart enough to take pics during surgery, and it is rather dark out now. How 'bout tomorrow?

My wagon was missing the window crank key. I tried the round trunk key from my other car and it worked. Jayson

i got one! with a key im pretty sure if not one could be made let me know i have two one is my spare i could let it go if u cant waggin and mine alrdy off lol

When I bought my 64 valiant wagon it came with only one ignition key. So I went to a lock smith and he made a door key which happend to be the same as the tailgate crank handle.I thought it was strange because my 65 valiant more door has the ignition key open the doors but not the trunk.I don't know if this is how all wagons are but I was very happy mine worked out that way.

When I bought my 64 valiant wagon it came with only one ignition key. So I went to a lock smith and he made a door key which happend to be the same as the tailgate crank handle.I thought it was strange because my 65 valiant more door has the ignition key open the doors but not the trunk.I don't know if this is how all wagons are but I was very happy mine worked out that way.

I also had a locksmith use the door lock to make keys. That new key didn't work on the tailgate either on my 65 Valiant wagon. Jayson

Yup, the key the locksmith made is an ignition/door style key, different however, from my doors, and my ignition. I suspect the ignition switch has been changed, and I know the entire tailgate has been. With the key made, the lock turns, I can't take a decent pic of the guts of the mechanism, but it appears that the lock cylinder should have a pin or cam of some sort to actuate the square pin that pops up into the adapter to the regulator splines, but there's nothing there.

Attachments

• dart handle 001_opt.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 137
we'll let ya slide till tomorrow, maybe we can walk ya thru fixin it, I'll dig up mine for waggin II and disect it to see what could be wrong with your's at this point I'm not sure if i will be needing it or not so it's in the "Keeper" pile... I actually don't lock any of mine in case someone wants to steal something from inside the car I don't want to need a new glass and what got stolen too

That's a good point, the only thing in the car is my road toolbox, I'd sure rather replace just it, as opposed to it, AND a rear, or worse, side glass.

I noticed a few popped up with spares that may be the way to go as I only have the one for waggin II....

Yup, the key the locksmith made is an ignition/door style key, different however, from my doors, and my ignition. I suspect the ignition switch has been changed, and I know the entire tailgate has been. With the key made, the lock turns, I can't take a decent pic of the guts of the mechanism, but it appears that the lock cylinder should have a pin or cam of some sort to actuate the square pin that pops up into the adapter to the regulator splines, but there's nothing there.

If you can reach into the inside of the tailgate, run a magnet around the bottom, maybe your missing piece fell down inside?

-
Back