Dart window and trim question

-

Den's Dart

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just got my Dart delivered and I am stoked!! She aint perfect but she's mine and I am looking forward to digging in!

First question is that where the window in the door meets the stationary rear windows there is about a half inch gap on both sides. My question is does the rear windows have an additional trim piece so that they over lap? Or am I missing something here... The doors don't look out of alignment so I don't think that is it...

Thanks in advance (for the first of many many queries!!)
Dennis

yea on my 64 theres a piece of trim that overlaps on the windows. they mite have fallen off and gotten stuck inside the door mine did lol

cool thanks I assumed that's what it was but I wanted to double check because there didn't seem to be any tell tale signs on the window itself (normally there would be adhesive residue or whatever).

Dennis

On cars with the center chrome trim, there is a tacky rubber piece that "folds" inside the channel that goes over the window and holds it in place. Over time, this tacky rubber piece will dry, get dirty, and lose a grip on the window, and the moulding will start to pop off when you operate the window. I think it's called "Division Moulding" tape and it used to be available through Laysons, in the mouldings and clips area. I bought a roll a few years ago and redid all my cars. Haven't had that problem since.

If you need the trim pieces, let me know what year your Dart is and I may have them. Good luck with your new toy!!! Geof

Only Pic I have is a couple of years old and makes it look better than it is.

I posted the story else where but basically I bought it off my bro for my old bike and cash. Ran the VIN last night here and apparently it originally had a slant six but now has the 340. Needs a bunch of work but never wanted a show queen anyways....I bought it to play with and drive.

Anyways, just so I understand this....there is actually 2 trim pieces right? One on the stationary rear side windows and 1 on the door window that over laps it right?

Dennis

Den's Dart.JPG

Only Pic I have is a couple of years old and makes it look better than it is.

I posted the story else where but basically I bought it off my bro for my old bike and cash. Ran the VIN last night here and apparently it originally had a slant six but now has the 340. Needs a bunch of work but never wanted a show queen anyways....I bought it to play with and drive.

Anyways, just so I understand this....there is actually 2 trim pieces right? One on the stationary rear side windows and 1 on the door window that over laps it right?

Dennis
No, theres only 1 piece on the rear window and none on the door glass and I believe there is a channel on the rear glass in which the seal fits.

hmmmm.....I have trim on the door windows not on the statioary rear side windows. I guess I will need to grab a beer tonight and check it out in the garage!

hmmmm.....I have trim on the door windows not on the statioary rear side windows. I guess I will need to grab a beer tonight and check it out in the garage!
I guess im not understanding what you mean by stationary rear windows, you mean they dont roll down? I just went out and looked at my 69 Dart and the door glass rear chrome trim has no seal, but the back window has the seal and it fits in a channel on the chrome trim and I can slide mine up and down in the channel. I gotta believe that all 67-76 darts used the same glass and trim. Ok I just re-read your post and im guessing you have no chrome trim on the front of the rear windows, if not then you are missing the trim and seal.

Hmmmm....ok I guess I gotta go do some looking. My apologies for posting so quickly but I was just concerned about leaving the gap between the two windows. (it is garaged right now but I may need to pull it out soon to make room for my daily driver to do some work on before we take it on vacation down to Florida)

My apologies for not being more clear. I know pics work better but I haven't been able to get pics and I just got the car the other night.

Yes I was referring to the front of the rear windows. The ones in the door have the chrome and it is cupped like it should meet up with another piece of trim.

It is the chrome trim on the front of the rear windows that I need to hunt down.

Thanks for the help! With any luck I will get a battery tomorrow and get it fired up this weekend and then I can get a pic or 2 out in the driveway. Where it is positioned in the garage (pushed in by hand) it is too tight to be able to snap pics and I can't move it out until it is running since my driveway is sloped and there is no way I can push it back in by myself.

Dennis

Hey Cosgig, any chance you have those particualr trim pieces? If so, how much?

Thanks in advance,
Dennis

There is a chrome strip that fits on the rear window that has a rubber seal for mating to the door window. I've seen the rubber seals on ebay but the chrome trim may be hard to locate.

I do have those trim pieces. Let me dig them out and I'll shoot you a pic to make sure they are the items that you need. If they are, you can have them!! I'll pack them and ship them off if you'll P.M. me with your mailing address. Geof

Thanks for the help guys. I spent some time today getting it running and doing a bit of cleaning. The rear window pieces definitely are not there. I even took a light to look down the window track inside the door and nothing nor is there any rubber mounting strip....actually I feel like a moron describing the rear side windows as stationary. Turns out both handles were off and I didn't realize they went down! (I hadnt looked in the back much).

Cosgig, if you could send the pic that would be awesome! I will pm you with my address etc and we can work out the details.

Thanks again guys,
Dennis

-
Back