Dartin for Divorce

-
they come apart a lot easier than they go back together :lol:

I literally haven't gotten any thing on, took apart the whole steering linkages and was getting frustrated, so figured I'd do the water pump and stuff since it is just bolt right up but no literally the first thing I touched was wrong .

take your time. hope you kept all the brackets in the right order. what's the deal with the steering linkage? was that to get the starter out?

take your time. hope you kept all the brackets in the right order. what's the deal with the steering linkage? was that to get the starter out?

Brackets?

To get the headers in on the driver's side is why I took the steering likage/tie rods off.

Figured it was tight so it would give me more room to wiggle stuff around .

Yea I'm definitely frustrated, just left to go to the autostore and see if I can find a coupler that will fit .

I found the best thing to use on those paper gaskets is Permatex Indian head gasket shellac. I dont like using silicone on the water pumps, or timing cover. Remember the water flows thru that timing cover on the way to the block.

I found the best thing to use on those paper gaskets is Permatex Indian head gasket shellac. I dont like using silicone on the water pumps, or timing cover. Remember the water flows thru that timing cover on the way to the block.

I have rtv black, blue and red. Was going to use red on bolts and black on the gaskets.

I have rtv black, blue and red. Was going to use red on bolts and black on the gaskets.
if all i have is RTV, i'd use the black on the water pump gasket, very thin smoothed out layer. and a daub of the red or black on the bolt threads that go into the water jacket. any of the bolts that dead-end into the cover or brackets, i use a small daub of anti-sieze. have everything ready to go when you seal up the pump on the cover. brackets and bolts laid out. you'll probably still end up loosening a couple of them later when you hang the accessories back on the front

Every dang water pump you buy has different size fittings than the one you take off. It's a rule, lol.

Last edited:
Every dang water pump you buy has different size fittings than the one you take off. It a rule, lol.

Apparently I didn't real the rule book before starting hence why I'm here all the time getting schooled over and over again

I got my coupler, now let's see how fast I can throw it all together my wife is yelling at me about this being a"project" with all the little parts adding up, and my daughter is demanding her car be fixed already... If the wife really knew how many "little parts" Ive purchased in the past couple of weeks haha .

So I've come to an impass as I'm kind of screwed, pun intended I took out this bolt as I thought I was going to have to take everything off to begin with. Well I can't remember which bolt goes back in it. All the other long bolts are in the correct places, then the 1in bolts around it. This bolt is longer but it may need to be a shorter bolt?

Other than that I pretty much made no "progress" today. I did stuff but nothing really to show for it

20190811_213036.jpg

I know it's too late but, it is always a good idea to take some quick photos from several different angles... before taking everything apart.

Definitely. I actually kept the bolts in all the correct locations in the new water pump as I pulled them out from the old pump. I mixed them all up when I took off to buy a coupler.

I found this though

20190811_181721.jpg

Look what just popped up for sale in Las Vegas. I paid the same amount for my car with all the extra parts, delivered. More and more do I feel like I got a killer deal, even if it does have a "restored/rebuilt" title.

]

I actually followed that installing all of the bolts to the WP, only thing is I had 1 extra longer bolt but I believe I figured out where it goes. This bolt is actually not threaded into the wp, it is on a bracket holding up the AC condenser and threadsa into the cylinder. head We will see tonight when I get home

Last edited:
This bolt is actually not threaded into the wp, it is on a bracket holding up the AC condenser and threadsa into the cylinder. head We will see tonight when I get home
that's what i was wondering. welcome to the mopar engine "where the hell does this bolt go" club

I actually followed that installing all of the bolts to the WP, only thing is I had 1 extra longer bolt but I believe I figured out where it goes. This bolt is actually not threaded into the wp, it is on a bracket holding up the AC condenser and threadsa into the cylinder head We will see tonight when I get home.
Yes that one!
that's what i was wondering. welcome to the mopar engine "where the hell does this bolt go" club

Gosh I know right!

I usually keep bolts in the holes they came out of (like I did) but I fucked up and got lazy after realizing my coupler was the incorrect size. Which the hose is probably the wrong size as well haha.

I would retrace my steps, verify every water pump bolt is in the correct position. Maybe look at some unposted pics of your engine to help determine if there was something else there, like a bracket or sleeve. You'll get there. I would leave the starter and the drag link off, your header install will thank you! Also, if you think the water pump was fun, stand-by for the header install!

late thoughts.... could that long bolt belong to your power steering pump?

I would retrace my steps, verify every water pump bolt is in the correct position. Maybe look at some unposted pics of your engine to help determine if there was something else there, like a bracket or sleeve. You'll get there. I would leave the starter and the drag link off, your header install will thank you! Also, if you think the water pump was fun, stand-by for the header install!

late thoughts.... could that long bolt belong to your power steering pump?

No the ps pump is bolted up with the correct bolt.

My plan is like you said a nice slow retrace of everything.

The arrow on the left shows 2 long bolts but only the top goes into the water jacket, I wonder why I have 2 long bolts there when one should be shorter according to the diagram from The circled one on the left side is the bolt I messed up and placed in the bracket for the AC condenser bracket. Then there are 2 long bolts on the right side in the correct position on the car. So I'm just going to follow my initial picture of where I removed the bolts from. I'm thinking my "extra long bolt" is For the alternator bracket, as in the initial picture it shows no real evidence of ever being wet, where as the bolt in question looked like it had coolant on it.
PS I just figured out how to edit pics on my phone, this is going to be fun!

The headers suck, not tons of room and how high I have to lift the car worries me about being under it even with my Jack stands. I'm probably going to repaint them black as well, as the silver has black grease all over them already

20190812_161555.jpg

20190812_162206.jpg

Last edited:
...and how high I have to lift the car worries me about being under it even with my Jack stands.
build a set of these. some 3" screws and some 2x4's will give you lots of room to work and way safer than jack stands. wish i'd made a set of these 30 years ago.
bucket shot is for scale
DSC01241.JPG

DSC01240.JPG

-
Back