Dartin for Divorce

-
Looks like your gasket stuck to the block on the 90 degree adapter.

You talking about this? I felt around and I definitely didn't feel a gasket .

20190830_183431.jpg

The thing that looks like a 3-spoke wheel is a gasket. Plus there is thick cork, or composite, washer in the middle. And a thinner gasket on the bolt, outside. Don't fool around with this, those gaskets always need to be installed correctly. You'll either have a massive internal or external oil leak. Or both. One just makes a mess, the other one causes a loss of filtering.

The thing that looks like a 3-spoke wheel is a gasket. Plus there is thick cork, or composite, washer in the middle. And a thinner gasket on the bolt, outside. Don't fool around with this, those gaskets always need to be installed correctly. You'll either have a massive internal or external oil leak. Or both. One just makes a mess, the other one causes a loss of filtering.

Ah I did not know that. All I have been finding for gaskets were like this on summit. Mopar Performance Replacement Oil Filter Adapter Gaskets P5249320 and this on the site

I will see if I can find another 3 spoke wheel looking gasket.

It dosen't have to be a 3 spoke, the one you posted in the picture will work as long as it's used the correct way.

It dosen't have to be a 3 spoke, the one you posted in the picture will work as long as it's used the correct way.

Ah I see says the dummy! Ok I will get that gasket kit I posted and throw it on. Then Is that metal 3 spoke gasket just trash then or do some people save them?

It's just trash, those spokes don't do anything, that's just an old style gasket and the spokes helped locate the center gasket, it was kinda two made in one.

It's just trash, those spokes don't do anything, that's just an old style gasket and the spokes helped locate the center gasket, it was kinda two made in one.

Cool! I ordered it off amazon. Paid double what it would have cost at the auto store or summit but it will be here tomorrow :thumbsup::thankyou:

Ps- as always this place is just full of people who I wish lived in Las Vegas, but you would all probably get a restraining order on me to keep me from coming over and picking your brains :rofl:

Here's what that 3 spoke gasket looked like new, it's not metal, just old and hard. I like the 3 piece gasket kit you pictured best just a little harder to put on, I always use a little Indian head gasket shellac to hold the bigger gasket in place.

20190831_103559.jpg

Here is one more tip: Do not "permanently" install the adapter until you have the headers on there. Put the filter on and make sure the whole assembly is clocked at the right angle to clear the headers and also allow the filter to be removed and replaced. You might also need to use a very short filter, like Wix 51085 or even 51335.

Oil Filters:
WIX Baldwin Length
51515 B2 5-13/32
51068 B233 4-3/8
51085 B34 3-7/8
51335 B7221 2-9/16

Here is one more tip: Do not "permanently" install the adapter until you have the headers on there. Put the filter on and make sure the whole assembly is clocked at the right angle to clear the headers and also allow the filter to be removed and replaced. You might also need to use a very short filter, like Wix 51085 or even 51335.

Oil Filters:
WIX Baldwin Length
51515 B2 5-13/32
51068 B233 4-3/8
51085 B34 3-7/8
51335 B7221 2-9/16

Cool will do, I have the stock replacement right now but can go grab another tomorrow if it doesn't fit .

Damn how I love to see a new muscle car Mechanic in the making, and one who actually takes advice, has anybody noticed that? take's advice! I would even go to you when you become a full fledged Dentist! You are doing Awesome my friend, keep it up and with all the great help you are getting your'e car will be all you ever hoped it to be. And maybe I shouldn't say this but no drama, what a great thread. Oh, and get that Dart back on the road quick, look what your'e doing to that poor young lady! She needs you to take her to skool and have the Dad with coolest car ever!

Jeff

Damn how I love to see a new muscle car Mechanic in the making, and one who actually takes advice, has anybody noticed that? take's advice! I would even go to you when you become a full fledged Dentist! You are doing Awesome my friend, keep it up and with all the great help you are getting your'e car will be all you ever hoped it to be. And maybe I shouldn't say this but no drama, what a great thread. Oh, and get that Dart back on the road quick, look what your'e doing to that poor young lady! She needs you to take her to skool and have the Dad with coolest car ever!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff! I'm glad and truly appreciate people are enjoying the thread and offing up so much great advice. Really this has been such an amazing experience so far and I just know it is going to get better.

Just 1 little thing. Don't tell my wife I'm taking advice she'd be pissed I never listen to her

Gaskets here and I just got the cam and lifters

Everything still in the original packaging and lifters still sealed up! Looks good to me! Again 75 bucks for it and he brought it to Vegas from Pahrump which is about an hour drive.

The 1789 has pretty close specs to the comp cams 268h so I figure this should be a pretty good little bump for the car.

I read through an older Mopar build on hotrodders and they did Edelbrock 800cfm carb, headers, springs, air gap intake and xe268 comp cams in a 70 340 and got 400hp.

I don't have the springs, xe268 or 800 cfm carb but I think if I tune my 600 I should be pretty dang happy with my setup! Heck even though I won't do the cams for a while I'm itching like a druggy to start driving this heavy old beast! Man I love this car!

I'll have to keep an eye out for a good deal on axle shafts for the 8 3/4 rear end so I can start getting that put together and eventually swapped in with the 727

20190831_124450.jpg

20190831_124517.jpg

Today was a good day! Passenger side header installed, oil filter w/ adapter and gaskets installed. Now tightening up all the front steering linkages and tie rods.

Plan is to try and get fluids in and see how she does. If I post pictures of the car and or my house on fire we will know it was no bueno!

I found something not connected to anything, it looks like maybe the transmission linkages? Maybe someone here knows, if it needs to be hooked up I may as well do that before taking off in it.

20190831_161618.jpg

20190831_161600.jpg

20190831_161758.jpg

20190831_161720.jpg

The stock linkage works well if you have all the correct parts and if you can understand how to adjust it. If you don't have the all the correct parts, might as well get the Lokar throttle cable kit and kickdown cable kit. Or get the Mancini kickdown cable kit. Here is what all the stock parts consist of:
1.jpg

Great information, I'm going to read over everything and this /6 manual I have.

The guy said this transmission had a "shift kit" in it and this is located right by that linkage. The car used to shift, just slightly hard shifting if to much gas was given so I'll definitely be tackling that next I guess.

PS this is behind that linkage maybe this is the shift kit he was talking about ?

20190831_171413.jpg

20190831_171434.jpg

20190831_172256.jpg

20190831_172246.jpg

Gaskets here and I just got the cam and lifters

Everything still in the original packaging and lifters still sealed up! Looks good to me! Again 75 bucks for it and he brought it to Vegas from Pahrump which is about an hour drive.

The 1789 has pretty close specs to the comp cams 268h so I figure this should be a pretty good little bump for the car.

I read through an older Mopar build on hotrodders and they did Edelbrock 800cfm carb, headers, springs, air gap intake and xe268 comp cams in a 70 340 and got 400hp.

I don't have the springs, xe268 or 800 cfm carb but I think if I tune my 600 I should be pretty dang happy with my setup! Heck even though I won't do the cams for a while I'm itching like a druggy to start driving this heavy old beast! Man I love this car!

I'll have to keep an eye out for a good deal on axle shafts for the 8 3/4 rear end so I can start getting that put together and eventually swapped in with the 727

View attachment 1715387364

View attachment 1715387365
What's funny about you post is that these cars aren't really that heavy in the grand scheme of things. I think your dart is what 3100 lbs with a full tank of gas. That's actually light even with the steel bumpers and all metal construction. Modern cars with miles of wires. And tons of plastic and sound deadened are actually heavier. My 2007 mustang GT is 3700 lbs.

Great information, I'm going to read over everything and this /6 manual I have.

The guy said this transmission had a "shift kit" in it and this is located right by that linkage. The car used to shift, just slightly hard shifting if to much gas was given so I'll definitely be tackling that next I guess.

PS this is behind that linkage maybe this is the shift kit he was talking about ?

View attachment 1715387522

View attachment 1715387523

View attachment 1715387524

View attachment 1715387525
Looks like it's got a lokar or some other cable type kickdown linkage hooked up from what I could see in pic #3 of that post. These cable operated kickdown are great to use if using a taller than stock intake manifold and aftermarket carb. Once you change from stock, the linkages for the kickdown end up being at odd angles and may not work correctly. I am planning on a cable operated one for my sons car as well

What's funny about you post is that these cars aren't really that heavy in the grand scheme of things. I think your dart is what 3100 lbs with a full tank of gas. That's actually light even with the steel bumpers and all metal construction. Modern cars with miles of wires. And tons of plastic and sound deadened are actually heavier. My 2007 mustang GT is 3700 lbs.

You know, I've read that, about the A body not being all that heavy.

So funny thing about you saying you have a mustang, my wife's grandma said something on FB about how I should have got a Ford muscle car etc lol. My reply back to her was "since when did Ford start making a muscle car?" She replied back about the grandpa having a 67 mustang back in the day. Guess she didn't like my sarcasm .

Looks like it's got a lokar or some other cable type kickdown linkage hooked up from what I could see in pic #3 of that post. These cable operated kickdown are great to use if using a taller than stock intake manifold and aftermarket carb. Once you change from stock, the linkages for the kickdown end up being at odd angles and may not work correctly. I am planning on a cable operated one for my sons car as well

So I may actually already have the kickdown linkage I need?

If it doesn't work that macinni one looks pretty nice .

Hunt for and read this article below on the net. It will offer a few nuggets of advice as to setting up the cable operated kick down. Honestly i wish Chrysler had done this type of set up way back then. Much simpler than the stock setup IMHO.

The Mustang I have I love for what it is. Modern performance car. Plenty of fun for me. GT V8 5 speed. Last road trip I got an average of 27.2 mph at 75 mph. Always dug the 1968 cult classic movie Bullitt. Was a big fan of the Charger and the Mustang. This one I feel kinda like I'm Steve McQueen when I slide behind the wheel lol. Owned a myriad of dodge chargers back in the day too. I have had em all Ford , GM, Chrysler. Never foreign. Wont touch any of that.

Screenshot_20190831-195626_Samsung Internet.jpg

-
Back