Dash Pad or Cover?

-

Nkaiser81

71TwistedK
Reaction score
Hello. I have a 71 Duster I'm restoring. Its been a while since I've done research. Thoughts on pad replacement or cover? My pad is cracked but not terrrible. Any thoughts if a pad cover is worth it? Also what brands are best? Same goes for pad replacement? Looking for some direction. Thanks

This topic covered (no pun) over and over but always welcome. Lots of opinions and links out there. I am in same position with '70 (green) dash pad. Only damage is underneath front overhang as evidence of melting - from Lord knows what. If I was keeping car forever I would leave mine alone. Also have very bad black one from '73 Duster but metal core looks okay. My (blue) Signet has to be done - eventually. Local upholstery shop can likely re-cover as they can use appropriate spray glue and adequate heat. Good luck with yours. :)

Is replacing the pad a major frig?? I thought I read that the column needs to be dropped hopefully not removed??

I'm not leaning one way or the other. I've been out of the game for a while. Just trying to find out some of the better credible suppliers that are making good affordable product.

all you need is time, good spatial coordination, and the ability to do things without being able to see them. 20 minutes out, 30 minutes in on an average day. I certainly wouldn't put a dash pad cover on anything I was restoring or cared how it looked, maybe a daily driver. Don't you have to loosen the dash pad to get the edge that is next to the face of the dash tucked in? If it's true, just replace the pad

Usually the cluster, radio and glove box need to be removed. If you are going to flip this car- get a cover. I am very particular, my car will never be for sale, I appreciate the best (if I can afford it)- so for me I had to restore mine (1968 3pcs).

Lower steering column. No need to remove it. Radio removal was a pain for me (not putting it back in).. glovebox liner removal required, but pretty easy. I’m not putting that back in either.

Professional recovering is $500 to $1000..
I just tried recovering my dash on my own with quality filler, sanding, quality adhesive, etc... The filler plus sanding was looking really good. The cover stage was another story. I may have used the wrong vinyl fabric, but once I started to glue it down (over original, with strategic glue points.. not glueing all over every surface), it was beginning to look horrible. So I bit the bullet and bought one from MoparPlus (happy with that).

I tried just spraying my old, filled and sanded pad, and it is actually looking pretty decent. I’m gonna do some more work on that and try to sell it for a little over the standard price for a used, cracked pad.

Long story short.. if you are considering a plastic cover.. you can fill, sand, and paint your original for much cheaper. It would probably look much better, and you’d still have your original pad in place if you ever wanted to refurb it in the future.

Attached are some pics from my dash recover attempt (no pics yet of the old painted dash).

My removal, install, and finished dash pics can be seen here.

A8465B3C-766F-4A47-B648-CD6BCE4F00F5.jpeg

D595DD88-959B-4B3E-A738-51A8FBAC9C5E.jpeg

DB6A37EC-18A5-4F07-8D48-72584A88407E.jpeg

46F021A3-B96B-4C86-BBC4-B3EB18581600.jpeg

338EFE6F-B888-4543-9D34-7AEDCD4E4478.jpeg

1C6154C3-34EE-427E-8CFA-EB7D5D8D25F8.jpeg

301F9A12-F678-4EEF-892D-2F70F1A7B5E1.jpeg

Last edited:
I did mine with the heater box, heat controls, cluster, and glove box removed. And it was somewhat easy. Just remember there are two screw on both sides about midway down the sides in addition to the stamped nuts. I have a really good picture illustrating the locations somewhere I will try to find it

-
Back