Dash Paint Gloss or Flat Clear

-

daves66valiant

68 Dart 340/727:66 Signet Vert 340/5spd: 68 D100
Reaction score
I've got my dash blasted and epoxy primed and am ready for basecoat tomorrow. I was thinking that I would flatten the clear for the dash to help reduce glare. I've never used flattener before so I read up a little on it. I'll call my paint guy at SPI for help on mixing ratio.

I'm just asking your opinions on painting the dash a semi-glass or matte finish.

Good idea? Bad idea?

Just seems to me that a really shiny dash would blind me since I'm driving in a convertible as well.

Thanks for any input for I shoot the base and clear

On my 65's the top of the dash finish was called "suede" in various colors. I checked with my paint shop and they couldn't cross-reference the original number. I'd guess that it was like a matte finish to eliminate the glare. The bottom part of the dash was gloss to compliment the upper dash. The exception would be black. My 65 wagon has a light blue color on top and a dark gloss blue on the bottom. Since my 65's all have dash pads, I'll separate the finishes right in the middle where the dash pad bolts to the dash.

On my 65's the top of the dash finish was called "suede" in various colors. I checked with my paint shop and they couldn't cross-reference the original number. I'd guess that it was like a matte finish to eliminate the glare. The bottom part of the dash was gloss to compliment the upper dash. The exception would be black. My 65 wagon has a light blue color on top and a dark gloss blue on the bottom. Since my 65's all have dash pads, I'll separate the finishes right in the middle where the dash pad bolts to the dash.

Thanks. I was leaning towards that option as well since I'll have a dash pad. This way if I don't get the exact effect I want, it won't be that noticable.

-
Back