dash removal!

-

Realest

gearhead 4 life
Reaction score
i have been stripping the car down.......interior is almost completely gutted.
Am I correct in thinking the windshield must be out to get the dash out?

ryan

ding ding your are correct sir! carefully get the trim off(this is the worst part)if the windshield is factory or old dont be afraid to cut the window out ...the factory gasket has a lock wire(rubber) in it and you will need to remove it look closely use will see a seem . then just run a knife around the edge. lay the knife on the glass, pointed strigth up & down ...stick in in just under the gasket lip and use both hands and pull towards you ,slow and even dont stab yourself.....i used a butcher knife! i had the window itself out in less than 2 minutes...the trim took a hour....damn trim....

thanks
guess the dash stays in until i can get my garage build LOL

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING Will Robinson! Just a heads-up here, many old mopers have a really annoying tendancy to have major rust develop around the windshield frame. They way this often works is that the old one comes out just fine but body work is needed to get one back in. Don't ask me how I know that...... :)

Good hunting. -LY

the dash has a bit of rust on the lower passenger side so that the reason i have to take it out. hopefully i don't find many other suprises

Dart Progress 011.jpg

There was a mid 70's dart at the local U-pull it yard and someone had taken the dash out without doing anything to the windsheild. I didn't think you could do it ( I have always taken out the glass) but the dash screws were put back in the holes, the dash frame was sitting in the trunk stripped of all the wires, gauges, and pad. The mounting holes weren't cut or anything.

-
Back