Dash replacement bulbs

-

Dartnewbie

Former Dart owner
Reaction score
I know someone on here has used other bulbs for the dash lights other than the stock #57 bulbs. Has anyone had success with using LED replacements for the dash lights? If not, what number bulbs did you find to be brighter than the stock #57 bulbs?

Just got thru changing my instrument panel lights out with the LED's (194) last week !!
What a BIG Mistake...They are so dim @ nite you need a flashlight to read the gauges..I used the 360 degrees and the light emitting from the end in the turn signal holes and hight beam...Now I have my dash back apart replacing the LED's with LL-194's....
I also put a red one in my tailamp 15 LED's..Sure it was brighter,but it made my lights do crazy things (turn signals stopped blinking/headlamps quit working/and the screws that hold the printed circuit board were hot)!!!!.Took it back out and the lights were back to normal again....I'm not no electrical professional,but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that this was not right....Anyway the "heck" with LED's on my car..Went to the Long Life 194's..
Anybody want to buy a bunch of LED's @ a resonable price???? I have plenty.Bought enuff for all my cars w/o checking the results first. My friend has a Mustang and his did the same thing.
Maybe someone out there had better results with them I sure hope so.
Not too happy with LED's

that guys dash in the picture looks bright look up gauge cluster repainted in search.....it looks good

I know someone on here has used other bulbs for the dash lights other than the stock #57 bulbs. Has anyone had success with using LED replacements for the dash lights? If not, what number bulbs did you find to be brighter than the stock #57 bulbs?

I read here that someone used the led's in the dash but they were really dim......Just to clarify, there are 2 distinct types of led 194's......I have a bunch of the regular ones, and they stink unless you use them as a "spot" bulb.....they project a small spot straight ahead.......NO GOOD for a dash, OR for side markers. They also make one with a cone shaped reflector in it that projects the light sideways....BUT, I don't know how well they work in a dash or marker...........One of these responses mentioned a "360" degree bulb they tried.....is this what you mean?.....the ones that project sideways?

If THEY don't work either, then the LED's are a lost cause for replacing 194's.

Well I don't have the push in type bulbs in my dash, the older bayonet base bulbs are used. I am having problems finding the #57 bulbs in my area and was hoping to find a suitable replacement. Heat is an issue going to a hotter/brighter bulb but I was hoping someone had experience with the older style bulbs and using a newer style bulb a little brighter. LED would be ideal as there is no heat issue but the illumination pattern may not light the whole dash. Also wondered if they dimmed like bulbs do.

Yes I have both styles as you mentioned a cone shaped reflector in it that projects the light sideways....That is what I am calling the 360 degree...
They are not bright .Anyway that was my experience with LED's and maybe by chance someone else had better luck if they did I am grateful....

Yes I have both styles as you mentioned a cone shaped reflector in it that projects the light sideways....That is what I am calling the 360 degree...
They are not bright .Anyway that was my experience with LED's and maybe by chance someone else had better luck if they did I am grateful....

I put brighter bulb in mine, they were either 168's or 162's, lemme look for
the link I had on bulb specs.

I really appreciate that help.That is a good page for reference.......
What do you think about the Xenon 1250X ? That is 5CP.
If you don't think that one will work I am going to the 168 like you did.
Really didn't realize there were choices like this on those bulbs.....
Thanks Again....

You're welcome. Many people don't realize all the options there are for
bulbs. Keep in mind higher amps and cp will generate more heat. You can
try a hot bulb but keep an eye on the socket holder for it. I found the 168's
to be pretty decent compared to the stock, but you can always dim a bright
bulb down!

-
Back