Dash speaker

-

moparlee

64 Valiant
Reaction score
What size were the original speaker for the dash in the early A's? Weren't they 6x9's? Thanks.

Yes, they are 6" x 9". There is a bracket that has two holes that hold it to the dash. Search prev. posts for "twin speaker" and there's a photo that shows the bracket.

Oh. ya. The speaker also has to be pretty shallow with a small magnet to allow for wiper mechanism clearance.

Dude, that is exactly what I'm after. There is a thread about his already? Ok, I'll search for it.

Contact '74SPORT. He makes and sells the bracket to mount twin speakers for both early and late A-bodies. I built brackets for both my Baracuda and Valiant to hold two four inch speakers prior to him offering them, but now he has them available.

speakers

IMG_0433.jpg

IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0436.jpg

IMG_0468.jpg

IMG_0472.jpg

Hi Lee
The stock speaker had black grill cloth covering the speaker which prevented debris from falling through the speaker opening in the dash. I bought a roll of it at Radio Shack cheep and it also keeps the sun off the speaker cones (they will last much longer).

Lee,

It was a 6x9 in the A-Bodies. I did the same thing with the two 4 inch speakers.

But then I took the stock radio out. Gutted it, Fabbed out all the buttons needle and the tuning pot and put in a Mini sub amp in the old box, I hooked the power up to the on off switch on the radio. Then I put a speaker bar, and 2 channel audio in put in the radio. Hooked up my sirius out put to the radio and ...................WHAMMO constant Oldies on channel 5 in stereo. I tell you the total cost for everything was about 70 dollars, any dumbass can do this to, you don't need to go buy the 300 dollar deal or anything.

I even re hooked up the light in the radio so it comes on, you can't tell a thing that I did it, except that i painted the needle and cleaned the radio bezel lens.......

Lee,

It was a 6x9 in the A-Bodies. I did the same thing with the two 4 inch speakers.

But then I took the stock radio out. Gutted it, Fabbed out all the buttons needle and the tuning pot and put in a Mini sub amp in the old box, I hooked the power up to the on off switch on the radio. Then I put a speaker bar, and 2 channel audio in put in the radio. Hooked up my sirius out put to the radio and ...................WHAMMO constant Oldies on channel 5 in stereo. I tell you the total cost for everything was about 70 dollars, any dumbass can do this to, you don't need to go buy the 300 dollar deal or anything.

I even re hooked up the light in the radio so it comes on, you can't tell a thing that I did it, except that i painted the needle and cleaned the radio bezel lens.......

I'm interested in what you used, exactly, and where's the pics?:read2:
shrug.gif

Rick,

Would love to see some photos of your radio build also. Could you post a parts list of what one would need to do
this build ? Thanks for sharing !

John :-D

Rick, do you have more details on that conversion? I would like to do the same thing, but use a ipod instead of sirus.

Lee,

did the 1973 duster have a 6 x 9 speaker as well?

thanks

-
Back