Dash wiring questions:

-

sharpie

workin' stiff
Reaction score
I asked on moparts too, but I just wanted some A-body confirmation.

I have the dash out in order to install my new one with volts, oil, fuel, speedo, and water temp. So no ammeter.

I am wondering how the dash is supposed to ground. The grounds are now all bundled into two ground wires as can be seen in this picture (the black wires). I was told the dash frame was the ground, but now that's not possible, so should I just find a good engine ground to ground it out?

photo2-1.jpg

When I took off the leads going to the back of the ammeter, I forgot which post the red lead went on and the same for the black. I also wonder where these leads go now? Any insight?

dashback.jpg

I asked on moparts too, but I just wanted some A-body confirmation.

I have the dash out in order to install my new one with volts, oil, fuel, speedo, and water temp. So no ammeter.

I am wondering how the dash is supposed to ground. The grounds are now all bundled into two ground wires as can be seen in this picture (the black wires). I was told the dash frame was the ground, but now that's not possible, so should I just find a good engine ground to ground it out?

photo2-1.jpg

When I took off the leads going to the back of the ammeter, I forgot which post the red lead went on and the same for the black. I also wonder where these leads go now? Any insight?

dashback.jpg

I believe the Red goes on the left. But you said no more ammeter right? the voltmeter will have a + and a - on it. Red to +, black to -. Hope this helps.

I believe the Red goes on the left. But you said no more ammeter right? the voltmeter will have a + and a - on it. Red to +, black to -. Hope this helps.

I wired my voltometer differently. I wired it in with the rest of the gauges' 12V and grounds, so it wouldn't measure crank unless the ignition was on "RUN" or "START." Am I going to have to change it back?

First, check out this link:

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

If you don't do the mod outlined in the above link, your original ammeter wires should be properly connected to each other and insulated. They should not be connected to anything.

Your ground wire for the new gauges can go to any ground source: the dash frame, pedal assembly, firewall - anywhere you have a chassis ground.

I suggest you connect your voltmeter to an accessory circuit that it keyed. In other words, you only get voltage to it when the key is on. The power lead for your stock radio is an example.

so then my last confirmation question:

wiring-diagram.jpg

dark blue with tracer is my 12V ignition, right? It's the only circuit that directly touches the ignition switch (G5-18DBL*)

Yup-

Dark Blue w/tracer = Ign-on, +12v

Dark Blue = Fuel sender

Violet = Temp Sender

Orange = Instrument Lights

Red = High Beam Indicator

Light Green = Left Turn Indicator

Tan = Right Turn Indicator

Black = Brake light (ground)

Gray = Oil Light (ground) or to sender

-
Back