Data link connector

-

68coupe

Reaction score
I have a 2001 5.2 ram engine that I'm installing and connecting the data link connector (DLC) to go into the interior somewhere. Right now I'm just trying to get it wired in but the pin-outs do not match the diagram in the FSM. I also have a couple of other diagrams from other vehicles that also don't match. Was wondering if anyone else had encountered this? I'll try to get this as close as possible, being partially colorblind.

cavity# color
3 violet
4 black/green
5 black/brown
6 dark green
7 pink/blue
9 pink

11 white/black
14 white/blue
16 pink

Just to clarify: I'm looking at the connector from the cavity side, not the wire side. I have enclosed a diagram of the connector with cavity numbers. Thanks for any help, I'm kinda stuck for now.

I have to get this done on mine some day soon. I only had the harness up to the firewall so the connector was gone. My plan was to get a connector from a junk yard from a chrysler ODBII car, should have colors that are close enough for me to match up. Looks like your color setup is pretty close if not right on to the 99 dakota harness that I have.
Report back if it works or not, some of the wires are twisted pairs and I'm not really sure how necessary that is.

Hey Matt - good to hear from you! There's not a lot to the DLC - two wires are the CCD bus connections, two are the SCI connections for the scanner, two are grounds, one is a constantly hot wire.

Pin 4 is a chassis ground while pin 5 is a signal ground from the PDC. I don't know how much difference that makes either. From what I read, there is no potential difference between the two grounds, but the signal ground is supposed to be isolated and contains less noise. I'm going to have to go back into my PDC and separate the ground wires. I just connected all grounds together and ran to the inner fender for a chassis ground.

All of the OBDII connectors are basically the same except for the pin-outs. The Chrysler would be different because of the CCD pins. Be careful though, I think even some of the Chrysler products differ. The Jeeps are different.

I'm attaching the diagram that matched my DLC plug for the 2001 Ram.

BTW, I'm hoping to have the Barracuda fired up in a couple of weeks. I'm finishing the wiring and exhaust now. The fuel system just needs to be connected to the fuel rail. The exhaust manifolds are on, but I don't have the pipes done. Guess I'll have to trailer the car to the muffler shop for that. I ended up using 92 Dakota exhaust manifolds.

Matt - You're right - the CCD bus wires are twisted. Thanks for the heads up. They are twisted coming out of the PCM through C3 to the PDC. Also twisted from the PDC to the interior destination. I don't know for sure how the DLC is wired in under the dash. That is a binary signal that is normally decoded for the instrument cluster.
I just used an old 5-conductor wire that was used for RS 232 connections to go to the DLC. I think I will go ahead and redo that with twisted pairs - just in case!

I should have some twisted pair cable stored here somewhere. After all, I am an old telephone company guy!

-
Back