data tag long gone ..

-

Dave NEO

Reaction score
anywhere else to look for tag in this '68 conv. barracuda?

Past owners. One of them may have kept it.

Yep, past owner would of kept it. Ask me how I know... 69 Barracuda convertible... I know where the original owner in California lives but it's miles away from me... like on the other side of the world. No build sheet either so I can't get another tag made. If you have the dash VIN then you can decode some of it and going by the tags on other cars you can roughly guess when your car was made. As for original colour, try under the carpets or in the trunk.

no way to assume the past owner even had it (it's likely had a lot of past owners...) anyway, car has been completely rotisserie painted with seats and carpet out so... maybe under dash/behind glove box still a possibility. yes I've decoded the vin - just after details on how car came originally - as a 225 convertible originally, I know it was one of 535 built. With it's current 383 4spd it's cloned now to represent 1 of 40 that came that way in '68.

Cool. Was it originally a 3 pedal car? Mine was a column shift auto with a /6 and small diff. 1 of 200 I believe. Was tossing up whether to go a BB or G3 Hemi. It's now a 383 with 727 and 8 3/4 LSD diff. Can't imagine how slow it would of been and didn't have any silver trim either, a very basic package car. I do know it was one of the first convertibles through the line though. I try and keep an eye out for the others for sale or getting built and try and keep a mental note.

101_3197.JPG

3spd floor shift - the original shift ball with 3 spd pattern was re-used for the 4spd and the new pattern was scratched in! I've since replaced it..

-
Back