date code for my A-833

-

TATTOO BILL

Reaction score
How do I find out the date of my transmission? Its a A-Body 4.80 IBR 4-speed.

I wouls also like to no if it has the original Hurst Competition Plus shifter still bolted to it..... Numbers?

Thanks guys!

I'm pretty sure they didn't come with Hurst Comp. Plus shifters from the factory. They did have Hurst shifters tho. In '66-very early '68 they had Inland garbage shifters.

My '64 came from the factory with a Hurst Competition Plus shifter. It's stamped into the side of the shifter tower. The trans came with the 4.35" diameter IBR. Not sure when they went to the larger diameter but I think it was when they went to big blocks. I would think if you have an A body trans with a 4.80" IBR it would be from a 1967 or later big block. IF the shifter is original it would be from sometime in 68 or later as mentioned by 67valiant. I don't know how to decode the numbers on the trans. I should learn, it can't be difficult.

I'm pretty sure they didn't come with Hurst Com. Plus shifters from the factory. They did have Hurst shifters tho. In '66-very early '68 they had Inland garbage shifters.

Pretty much every factory shifter ive seen were some variation of the competition plus, from the late 60's thru the 70's on A bodies

Does anybody on here know what transmission came in the factory big block GT and GT-S 4-speed cars? Also, what bellhousing was factory? It must have been the B or C body unit......

A Hurst shifter and a Hurst Comp Plus are not the same thing (Well….. Mostly they are, lol).

A comp plus has adjustable stops for the throws. Most factory Hurst shifters I have seen, do not.

A Hurst shifter and a Hurst Comp Plus are not the same thing (Well….. Mostly they are, lol).

A comp plus has adjustable stops for the throws. Most factory Hurst shifters I have seen, do not.

comp+ was never offered from the factory only the standard hurst shifter was offered although they look very similar

the date can be determined by the numbers stamped on the side of the transmission case

Correct, that is what I meant by some variation of the comp plus.

actually the comp plus was a variation of the stock shifter not the other way around
kind of like saying a valiant was a variation of the barracuda

So any numbers on the shifter??? Any idea about the transmission being a factory big block???

-
Back