Dave's Deuce

-

FASTBACK340

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Here's a waaaaay off topic posting that will make me feel better. This has absolutely NO MOPAR content, but it is about a car.... a special car. As some of you know I'm into model building.

dadeuce_1.jpg

I've been busy assembling a replica of my friends Deuce for the past 2 weeks. It feels good to get back into building again. While it's not exactly my best work, It's not all that bad considering not building for 3 yrs.

dd1.jpg

Here's the car mocked up to check various heights/angles/clearances.

dadeuceframe3.jpg

Here the frame is partially assembled. The front axle has the disc brakes mounted. The fuel & brakes lines are plumbed on the chassis. The engine is detailed except for the fan belt that has to made from black masking tape. Notice the alternator bracket between the engine and frame. That's a piece of metal as thick as a sheet of paper. That's the kind of stuff I work with. I also have fasteners in that scale.... :shock:
dadeucewheels1.jpg

These are my favorite part, the wheels. They came out real nice. Trim rings are billet metal, tire valves are cast resin, hub caps are from a `40 Ford just like the real car.

My friend Dave passed away last June after a 6 yr. battle with cancer. He was a very well know model builder that was published frequently in magazines and always brought home a trophy at a contest. This car was his pride & joy. This car must be done by next Saturday for the first contest of the season in New Jersey. I'll post follow up pictures as I progress. Oh by the way.... I've never done a flame paint job before.

I can't let him down :salut:

You're playing with toys?? You should be working on your car! :mrgreen:

It does look nice though. :p

Adam,do you recognize the shade of red on the frame? It's Flash Red.... :wink:

Thats sweet man i wish all my models had that much detail in them,all of mine are a mixe of 4-5 diff models,i just finished a Norms 68 dart using home built back have 4 linked rearend,a 440+6 from a 69 RR,a full cage from a 70 superbee with a few add ons in my taste :lol: an norms hood with a custom hole in the center for the hemi scoop of a 69 dart :afro: i love that car with all my heart two weeks to build that thing an it looks killer it puts all my other models to shame :thumrigh:

Looks good John :thumleft:
You do some nice work!

Get us some pics. from the model contest. :mrgreen:

EvilScamp said:

Public humiliation is the best motivator! I figure by posting the pictures I've just painted myself into a corner and have to get out of it. I have to finish this car....

More pictures to follow 8)

FASTBACK340 said:
EvilScamp said:

Public humiliation is the best motivator! I figure by posting the pictures I've just painted myself into a corner and have to get out of it. I have to finish this car....

More pictures to follow 8)

into a corner is right! i want to see this model in finished form.

Deuce Update:

dadeuceframe6.jpg

Chassis is done. With the exception of a plug wire that fell off ( I noticed a miss....) this is ready for the body & interior. Some minor detailing bits-n-pieces still need to be done, but nothing major.

dadeuceroof2.jpg

Dave has a red padded insert for his roof. I tried to replicate the insert on a spare body. Good ole masking tape painted red does the trick!

dadeuceroof3.jpg

I couldn't resist rolling a tire next to the body. It's getting there. Tonight I painted the body that's being used and started laying down the first of three colors for the flames. THIS is going to be THE challenge, FLAMES!!!!

Thanks for letting me indulge by posting this.

Thanks for the compliments, but I'm starting to have a few problems, namely having the paint lift on the hood due to poor preperation ( my bad.....) and some alignment issue with the interior.

Has to be done by Saturday morning to be on a contest table @ 9:00 am :pale: :shaking: :puker: :drunken: :?

OK..... I learned something new last night:

I can't paint flames! I totally screwed the pooch trying to apply flames. The problem I had was trying to mask over louvers on the hood sides. Total nightmare....

Now I gotta find a set of decals that will pass for being close.Two days and counting..... :?

-
Back