de-code this block

-

Bigmacdak

I'll take the Duster.....
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 360 froma guy I work with. Its supposed to be a 72' block, at least he said he THOUGHT it was. Its a standard bord 360 with J heads so im thinking of keeping it as a spair for the duster. If you guys could just tell me what year it is, that would be great. I think you can get it from the stamp on the side of the block. Here it is. 3418496-5-360.

Any help is appreciated!8)

Casting number shows it to be a 71-74 block

Look for a cast date. Also, on the front of the block, just below the drivers head surface, there should be some stamped numbers. Get those numbers and they can be decoded. There is an 10,000 day assembly date in the numbers

Casting number shows it to be a 71-74 block

Look for a cast date. Also, on the front of the block, just below the drivers head surface, there should be some stamped numbers. Get those numbers and they can be decoded. There is an 10,000 day assembly date in the numbers

Ok i'll look at it in a couple of days. For now I have to catch a train:(
Stand by for more #'s....

I think I found it. Looks pretty cut & dry. Any way to tell exactly what it came out of??
block-1.jpg

The VIN # of the vehicle it came out of will be stamped on a pad, at the rear of the block, just over the oil pan.

Ok thanks for the info guys, I'll check for the VIN on it tonight.

GTX, I thought the same thing! Only time will tell as its been sitting in a barn on a pallet for 20 years. Looking at the cylinder walls, im thinking .40 just to clean it up. But hey, I was going to do that anyway!

Bigmac, has it been bored before or do the cylinder walls just look bad to you?

No its standard bore, it was never rebuilt back in the day. The fella I got it off of pulled it from a wreced car in 88-89, but he cant remember what it came out of. All off the walls look good except one that had a damn rats nest inside it. You know what happens when rats make a nest inside something :angryfir:. It just looks a little pitted up to me. No deep gouges or anything like that. It might clean up with a good hot tanking & honeing. Im going out to the shop to get the VIN now. Wish me luck...its 106* here today!

Well hell. I cant find a VIN anywere on it. Is the pad just bolted to the block or is it cast into it?

Ok that helps. Also this thing is covered in years of oil/roadgrime. Thats one reason I cant see anything. Do you think it would be bad to run it by the carwash & blast some of it off? Its a bare block & I figured as long as I dryed everything out it wouldnt hurt. But I dont want to cause any rust to set in either... What do you think??

You'll have to get the gunk off, eventually. Pressure wash it, is a good start, a bit messy.

Dry it up, than wipe it with a rag soaked with oil, a thin layer is all that's needed.

Good luck,

Giles

I think the vin # is on the passenger side. IIRC

-
Back