Dealerships and dealers

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Dealerships sure have a racket going on.

Mercedes dealer wants $450. To change the oil on a 19 Mercedes S560 and they are saying it would be 2 weeks out.

It takes 9.5 qts. Of 0w-40 so that's like 35 Times 2 for the oil and oreileys stocks the oil filter in wix brand for another 35. So that's like $110. in parts.

There's a big cover under the engine and then it's just like any other car except the drain plug is a torx but at least the drain plug is pointed straight down. The filter housing makes a little mess because it has a lid thingy that unscrewes and the filter element slides out on its side and the new one slides right in.

Took me 20 minutes to do it myself.

Who actually pays dealers their robbery prices.
Then on top of that, the dealers will try to find other stuff for up sales.

Can you imagine the kind of cash dealerships and even dealers are just shoveling in.

Damn

people get scared when they are told, when they buy the car, that warranty will only be good if you have proof of oil changes/maint. they think that the dealer will have all the needed proof. not always the truth. i.e.- early 5.7 hemis(2003/2004) had engine problems and when they went south, people that had their oil changed regularly at the dealerships were told, no warranty, even though they had paperwork proof. those people lost cause they had no money to fight mother mopar. cousin was 1 of those here locally. glad you save that money for your duster project.

The best part is they put the flunky changing oil NOT A MECHANIC. I've experienced it all. Loose oil filter/drain plug , had a drop of fresh oil dripped on my steering wheel??? (WTF was he doing inside the truck with fresh oil???) I had a grease monkey come up out of the pit covered with oil , get in my car , grind his greasy boot in the gray carpeting , put his greasy arm on the arm rest and stain the velour insert on the door panel!!! Then look at you with a STUPID LOOK "LIKE WHAT DID I DO?" I can't stand it The older I get the less tolerant I am of STUPIDITY. I will not tolerate being ripped off.

people get scared when they are told, when they buy the car, that warranty will only be good if you have proof of oil changes/maint. they think that the dealer will have all the needed proof. not always the truth. i.e.- early 5.7 hemis(2003/2004) had engine problems and when they went south, people that had their oil changed regularly at the dealerships were told, no warranty, even though they had paperwork proof. those people lost cause they had no money to fight mother mopar. cousin was 1 of those here locally. glad you save that money for your duster project.
I dealt with this same bullshit when a defective MDS lifter crapped out at 59,000 miles in my 2007 truck. The pricks tried to use that bullshit excuse of infrequent oil changes as the cause.

Basic maintenence services will always be the preferred method for those that have the funds and lack the skill or interest in doing things themselves. I don't begrudge the dealership... it's not a ripoff if the person having the service done feels that they received value for their dollars.
I do my own work...and I've taught my family to do the same.

I have an Audi S3 and I’ll pay the dealership to do a transmission flush. I supply the fluid and filters. But any other basic maintenance I’ll do myself.

Mercedes dealer wants $450. To change the oil on a 19 Mercedes S560 and they are saying it would be 2 weeks out.

It takes 9.5 qts. Of 0w-40 so that's like 35 Times 2 for the oil and oreileys stocks the oil filter in wix brand for another 35. So that's like $110. in parts.

There's a big cover under the engine and then it's just like any other car except the drain plug is a torx but at least the drain plug is pointed straight down. The filter housing makes a little mess because it has a lid thingy that unscrewes and the filter element slides out on its side and the new one slides right in.

Can you imagine the kind of cash dealerships and even dealers are just shoveling in.

Damn
We have a new sprinter van at my work. 3 month wait for an oil change, they had the van for almost 2 weeks and by the time we got it back it was $1200.

The van has a prepaid service plan, so none of the $1200 was the oil change. It’s also still under warranty. Who knows what the charges we’re actually for? My boss just paid without asking.

Dealerships are bad, but Mercedes in on another level.

I do the oil on my Duster as I wouldn't let anyone touch it and I use Amsoil. I do the oil in my driveway on my 2006 Charger and it takes maybe 25 min. My wife's 2018 Ford Flex I just take it to Firestone and it's about $60.00. One time I waited 30 minutes for the oil change and just assumed they were busy and I didn't think anything of it. I went to pay and the manager gave me the oil change for free since I had to wait. I don't use dealerships as they are way over priced on anything. I spent $1200.00 for new fan motors on the charger. I looked it up on YouTube a few days after the repair, about a 30 min. job and the fans were around $75.00. Live and learn.

Damn
Exactly why I do all my own maintenance and repairs, unless it's just not possible for me to get it done at the time and it can't wait.

My son's '08 Charger needed rear axles the dealer quoted $1,700 parts and labor. I bought them at a local auto parts store $85 each and paid a local mechanic 2 hours labor $130. Saved almost $1,400 He was very happy I made a phone call

A friend just got an oil change at the dealership in his Ram 1500. They called him at work and told him he also needed a cabin filter too, so thinking that was a cheap thing, he told 'em to go ahead. When he went to pick it up the bill was over $250. The cabin filter was $48+ and labor was $48. They also had to put in a drain plug kit as the seal was supposedly bad. And there was a misc shop supplies charge too. I told him I'd be glad to change his oil and cabin filter in the future for just $200!!!

Magnuson Moss is basically a "right to repair" act that dealerships conveniently leave out, misinform or flat out lie about. you can change your own oil and if you have proof your warranty is still valid. however, if you break something or deviate from the mfgr's suggest repair proceedure or suggested/specified fluids, then you're SOL (ie running 0w-5 mobile one when 10-40 is spec'd)

in the same vein, a warranty can be denied if your vehicle was not brought in under a TSB for a correction.

anyway, sucks those people got smoked. that would've been a slamdunk for even Lionel Hutz

Just had some work done on my lease 2019 Malibu work car. Needed rear brakes-it’s $535 for that work!!! Yikes!!

Key word is Mercedes. Same as Corvette or Cadillac in GM terms. It does not matter if the same part in a Chevy is 5 times cheaper, your going to pay. As my Buddy says, you want a premium vehicle you will pay the premium price, No pity as far as he is concerned. Pretty much the same for all the big name cars. Most of their customers have big money and no car savy, so they just pay and go on their way.

I've heard that dealers quoted $5k for a brake job for a 2020 Scat Pack Widebody, the parts (better with no dust) can be had for $500. I'd never go to a dealer unless it's covered 100%.

Free market capitalism baby

Don't want to pay 450 for an oil change?
Find a good looking mechanic who will do it for less

I've heard that dealers quoted $5k for a brake job for a 2020 Scat Pack Widebody, the parts (better with no dust) can be had for $500. I'd never go to a dealer unless it's covered 100%.
if it needed rotors, i could see that. MSRP on those rotor is 1200 each
(granted you can get them online at 800, but still!)

so let's say for S&G's you need the full boogie
front rotors 2400
front pads 575
hardware/shim kit 120
rear rotors 530
rear pads 200
hardware/shim kit 70

3895 in parts and figure you're gonna want a flush and bleed too. so add some more $ before shop supplies, tax and then tack on the labor.

could you do it in your driveway cheaper, sure. but you can also make pizza at home cheaper too.

Damn
That's why we call the em" the stealership!"

good and good looking? now you're just asking the world, buddy.
I never said she had to be good
She said she could do it for about 1/4 of what the stealership wanted, so she can mess it up twice, get it right the third time and still be cheaper

-
Back