Decipher #'s on 904 transmission

-

Valleyant

Valleyant
Reaction score
Found this 6 cylinder A904 transmission. Can someone tell me what the stamped numbers mean and if it is a good match for my 1972 Plymouth valiant with 225 slant six.
PK 4130641X 6401 0450
Thankyou!

PK = Kokomo assy plant
4130641X = trans part number
6401 = Monday, February 5, 1979
0450 = the 450th trans assembled that day

Thankyou Rocky!
Is there anyway to tell if this trans will have the same gear ratios as my '72 and was this trans a lock up torque converter trans? if there was such a thing.
My plan is to do a direct swap into my '72 Valiant ....trying to avoid any incompatability problems...Thanks

I'll leave to someone with more knowledge on this question - Lock-up started in 78? I believe you need to get an earlier transmission.

Most 904's are compatible unless they are early, rear pump units, or you get to the lock-up versions then the torque converter gets different, you can tell by this, this is the shaft you mount the torque converter to:

3940413483_6c7b048fe8_b.jpg

Since this is a slant application, it would help with gas mileage to have the LU, so sure, have at it. Make sure it's in good health and you wire it up correctly, where applicable. Do drop the pan and inspect the bottom, any excessive black clutch material and metal flakes it's time for a rebuild.

You might want to think about putting a tf-2 shift kit in there, as well as a drain plug in the bottom of the pan while your there to to firm things up a bit as well as make maintenance easier if everything looks good.

If it doesn't:

I believe in 1980 they put in the desirable 2.74/1.54 1st and second gear sets that got big vehicles off the line and is usually equal to 1 to 1.5x differential gear change up. You can swap them in if you wish, if you end up rebuilding it, you can get all the pieces for wittrrans.com wonderful people to deal with.

Here is the good rebuild kit if you need it:

http://www.northernautoparts.com/ProductModelDetail.cfm?ProductModelId=9099

If you search the site there are ton's of instructional material on how to get it done. I've done one in my kitchen, so that "Oh, I don't have the space." thing is hog wash.

A904's are simple to deal with and a waste to let some one bend you over on a rebuild for one. Check 3 times install once.

Thankyou very much Rocky and Poison....The trans that I found is a NOS piece. I verified the year as 1979 and the part number stamped on the case means its a non-lock up torque converter version. I bought it and its in transit. I hope it works out. I will tinker with the transmission that is coming out as time permits and make some improvements to it....thanks for the parts source link...much appreciated!

-
Back