Decision making was never my strong point...HELP lol

-
Bill I understand that since you want more of a driver than a drag car. My big old Cordoba needs all the help it can get. metallicdart sorry for hijacking your thread.

Lol no problem! I like reading, its not a hijack, its an addition!

I have the ability to go big block but after a lot of research and seeing what a small block can be built to do I said forget that.

Thats always been my way of thinking, too. Not many mopar guys in my town (me, my brother, my dad, and a buddy Ron. My brother and I get called "the dodge boys" lol). But I have done sooo many la builds, I guess I just want to do something different. This was my first magnum, but it wasn't too much different than the la stuff. Just a little more planning and research.

Basically, for me it is the bang for the buck, similar, again, to the recent low comp 440 build. Between a 360 and a 440, if I port the heads on both, spend the same coin on a cam/lifters/springs, same RPM style dual plane, headers, etc, I am willing to bet a 440 would be faster. Other than the headers, I know I could do it for the same or cheaper, it seems like there is a ton of good used bb stuff out there.

Then again, I could sell the magnum, and put that towards the heads on my 422.

Now hold on a sec. I've seen some fairly warm 383s with thermoquads get 17 plus on the road with decent gearing. It's still a big block.

You are right on that! Heck, my 455 Cutlass with 2.45 gears got 16mpg with a Carter 750. I doubt that my 440 would be mild enough to get any mileage tho lol.

I guess it comes down to what you plan on doing with the car. A cruiser you can take on out of town trips without costing a fortune? Small block. Tire shredding Saturday night special? Big block. That's maybe oversimplified, but you get the gist of it. :)

Not oversimplified, you hit the nail on the head for me! I miss the look of awe when you tell someone "its a big block". I want the car to have a general feeling of badassness. I just made that up.

I can tell you first hand .....IT DOES :D:D:D

good luck with which ever you decide on.

Thanks! I am really torn on this one. I think my game plan will be as follows:
-continue doing what I am doing, and finish putting the magnum together.
-do the welding on the car, etc and get it together.
-drop the magnum in, and get the car driveable.

Its alot easier to sell an engine if someone can hear it running, so maybe I will wait until then to think about it. Unless I get a decent offer lol. Or, I decide to part with what little parts I have left.

Hmm.....

Lol no problem! I like reading, its not a hijack, its an addition!

Thats always been my way of thinking, too. Not many mopar guys in my town (me, my brother, my dad, and a buddy Ron. My brother and I get called "the dodge boys" lol). But I have done sooo many la builds, I guess I just want to do something different. This was my first magnum, but it wasn't too much different than the la stuff. Just a little more planning and research.

Basically, for me it is the bang for the buck, similar, again, to the recent low comp 440 build. Between a 360 and a 440, if I port the heads on both, spend the same coin on a cam/lifters/springs, same RPM style dual plane, headers, etc, I am willing to bet a 440 would be faster. Other than the headers, I know I could do it for the same or cheaper, it seems like there is a ton of good used bb stuff out there.

Then again, I could sell the magnum, and put that towards the heads on my 422.

You are right on that! Heck, my 455 Cutlass with 2.45 gears got 16mpg with a Carter 750. I doubt that my 440 would be mild enough to get any mileage tho lol.

Not oversimplified, you hit the nail on the head for me! I miss the look of awe when you tell someone "its a big block". I want the car to have a general feeling of badassness. I just made that up.

Well then, I guess you have your answer! Just make sure it can back it up! Bonzai!!!

I have done a big block in my dart. fender well headers. It wasn't too bad to work on.
in fact after the small block in my early Valiant I think the big block was easy, so easy I am going to put one in my Duster.

I am determined to have a big block 1968 Dart now. Well, later. Just took my fiance, Leslie, some lunch while she is at work, and she showed me some papers saying her pays will be garnished for 2 1/2 months for a debt that she incurred 5 years ago while she was married. Just in time for Christmas. So, looks like I will be selling the big block stuff that I just got, and sticking with a small block for now. In with the Magnum!

After Christmas, though, I think I will get some heads done and my valvetrain finished for my stroker, and sell the magnum. Maybe the Dart Sport, which, if I ever get to it, will get a new Hemi. Or the stroker when I put a big block in the 68. Or,...man, I hate ADHD.

Thanks for the input so far! I'm not giving up quite yet.

I am determined to have a big block 1968 Dart now. Well, later. Just took my fiance, Leslie, some lunch while she is at work, and she showed me some papers saying her pays will be garnished for 2 1/2 months for a debt that she incurred 5 years ago while she was married. Just in time for Christmas. So, looks like I will be selling the big block stuff that I just got, and sticking with a small block for now. In with the Magnum!

After Christmas, though, I think I will get some heads done and my valvetrain finished for my stroker, and sell the magnum. Maybe the Dart Sport, which, if I ever get to it, will get a new Hemi. Or the stroker when I put a big block in the 68. Or,...man, I hate ADHD.

well all that means is now is not the time ....but it will still happen ....patience you need you do, young Jedi.

I make it look it easy sometimes because I was fortunate to have access to old salvage yard that my adoptive owned ....but even spoiled me has had to be patient on certain things and I have had things not work out for me too ....most of the time its better to not force it and patience is usually rewarded.

Don't give up hope I didn't and I got my 440,you will too. Hold on to your BB parts they are not costing you anything sitting there. Sorry to hear about what happened to your fiance, the time will go by fast.

well all that means is now is not the time ....but it will still happen ....patience you need you do, young Jedi.

I make it look it easy sometimes because I was fortunate to have access to old salvage yard that my adoptive owned ....but even spoiled me has had to be patient on certain things and I have had things not work out for me too ....most of the time its better to not force it and patience is usually rewarded.

I actually read that as Yoda, and laughed out loud. I am easily amused lol. What is this "patience" you speak of?

Don't give up hope I didn't and I got my 440,you will too. Hold on to your BB parts they are not costing you anything sitting there. Sorry to hear about what happened to your fiance, the time will go by fast.

Thanks, I'm not too worried about it, but she is, so I guess I will just keep doing what I'm doing and see what happens.

-
Back