Decisions decisions....

-

75dart se

Reaction score
so I disassembled the 383 I was going to put in my dart and it's not in as good of condition as I thought! I also have a motor home with a good running 440 in it. I am in the process of pulling this motor out. I removed the valve covers to check the casting numbers and it looks like new inside! I already have the schumacher swap kit. It has head #3751213. Been reading on some forums that this head may be taller than a regular head! Is this true? I know this motor will probably be pretty weak but it sure runs nice! I guess I could do some measuring on the heads. I can always do upgrades later just want to know if it will fit in the car. Car is a 75 dart se with a 318

so I disassembled the 383 I was going to put in my dart and it's not in as good of condition as I thought! I also have a motor home with a good running 440 in it. I am in the process of pulling this motor out. I removed the valve covers to check the casting numbers and it looks like new inside! I already have the schumacher swap kit. It has head #3751213. Been reading on some forums that this head may be taller than a regular head! Is this true? I know this motor will probably be pretty weak but it sure runs nice! I guess I could do some measuring on the heads. I can always do upgrades later just want to know if it will fit in the car. Car is a 75 dart se with a 318

Coming from a motor home, it may have the motor home heads which the water pump runs to, they are weird and just something I wouldn't mess with. Not when good solid 906s/452s are available for 100 bucks or so.

Actually the water pump doesn't run to these ones. Looks like a normal head. Just lookin for a quick way to get goin!

Putting a 440 in an a-body is viable but clearance is terrible. We are putting a low deck in a '72 Scamp and clearance is tight but doable. We still have to crawl under with an open end wrench to get at the plugs. TTI headers are tight. We used c-body exhaust manifolds before that and left side sucked. Go for it.

Is that 383 lunched?

There's nothin' wrong with stuffing a 440 in a Duster although like the fellas above have said, it is tight...the tri-ys will limit you a little bit, but if all you're looking to do is have a healthy DD big block A body, it'll definitely work

the mymopar website says those are indeed motorhome heads with 2.08/1.74 valves...

213's are regular style heads with the extra coolant holes and peanut plugs..

The heads have the smaller spark plugs and extra cooling but other than that look the same! Guess I'm just gonna try it. Got nothing to lose. Will be interesting to see how it performs. Is it possible to change the tail shaft on the 727 motor home trans to a regular tail shaft with a slip yoke?

yes it's possible but you will need another trans for all the parts required. so it's better to get another trans and you'll have extra parts if some aren't as good and need to be replaced.

-
Back