Decisions decisions...

-

7duce swinger

Reaction score
Need some insight guys. I had barely freshened up the rear end, its a strange narrowed 9" with strange third member and 35 spline spool with dutchman axles. After a turn and some speed I heard a snapsnap, then the car shook a bit and sent me into a spin.
I was able to keep the car out of a wall and limp it home. The splines on the spool got completely sheared off on the passenger side. Axle is fine, nothing at all just the spool's splines were messed up. Now my question is. I know I'm probably thinking of what it should be. But how dumb would it be if I reused the bearings being that they're fresh? Just take it apart and drop another spool in it. Stupid or just spend the money and do em over? I didn't look at the spool before and pretty sure it was starting to mess up before. I mean the bearings where the spool is at. Others I have new, but these I do not.

Change em out?? Just kick myself for having to do this again. Also how often does someone break a spool or an axle with a spool on the street? My tires are 20" wide as well. Could it just be bad roads and I wasn't making my turns wide enough?

If it were my car I would pull them, clean them and decide from there.

Others would recommend changing all the bearings, gears, seals as well as the engine oil and filter.
(with your money of course) :D

Honestly, Im with Greg! Clean it up and decide at that time. I know for a fact I dont have the money to buy all new stuff, so hope you dont have to as well.

They look good to me. 2 months old. It was the spool that cracked I'm just on the fence with buying new ones you know. I'm broke so even money spent on bearings is a bit to me lol. They're new and I remember hearing the rear making noise. This time it just gave out.

And does anyone know if its something that I should think about with a spool on the street and big tires. How often does someone break a spool in turns? I would have thought the axles would give out first.

You shouldent be running a spool on the street IMHO. Thats a drag part. Put a sure grip under it, that problem goes away.

You shouldent be running a spool on the street IMHO. Thats a drag part. Put a sure grip under it, that problem goes away.

No suregrip for 9" but posi units yes. I know its for dragstrips, but i don't have money for a posi unit at the moment.

Something has to give when going around a corner, either the tires scrubbing, a sure grip slipping or in your case the spool breaking or axles twisting/breaking. So if money is the issue , narrower tires. Best would be a sure grip, other wise will continue to break stuff. Where do you want your money to go?

-
Back