Deck stain/sealer recommendations

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
WE replaced the front porch with YellowWood (treated yellow pine), just a little more $ and better finish than the local treated wood. We want to not have to do it again any sooner than we will have too, but I don't want to just go buy the most high $ just to think it is the best product either. This is S E Texas, hot, humid and wife hoses it off pretty darn regular. Any experience with whatever?

We got tired of pressure washing and staining our deck every 3 years, so back in 2019 we went with composite flooring. It's high dollar but you only have it done once. I don't remember what stain we used it came from Sherwin Williams and was about $40 a gallon and 5 gallons to do the job as we did the underneath as well.

The front porch (deck) is DONE> I used good "ground contact" treated wood. It will last our lifetimes at our age, but I need to stain/seal it all over. Over part that is not ground contact wood is the treated 1 x 4 for railing/

1667587132756.png

In my experience I would have stain ALL the wood with "MINWAX" stain, even before I started to saw wood. With every cut stain it...after that use whatever you desire.

Last edited:
I my experience I would have stain ALL the wood with "MINWAX" stain, even before I started to saw wood. With every cut stain it...after that use whatever you desire.

I had to pay it built, at 74 and wore out. Never have had t do such before, but......

20220619_154750.jpg

20220812_161512.jpg
I built this over the summer. Then I had to go back and seal it with tinted Valspar to match Trex flooring. It's 10 feet off the ground and I learned to seal every other piece before I put it up. Wore my arms out for a while.

That's very nice, but dangit, are those your neighbors? I couldn't stand bein that close. I gotta be able to pee off my porch.
Yep. When I was truckin all over the USA, my wife wanted close neighbors. She didn't want to be out on acreage like I wanted. So that's what she got.

-
Back