Decklid issue

-

7duster4

Reaction score
I have a slight issue with my decklid on my '74 Duster thats been there since I have owned the car. Everytime I close the decklid it makes a loud bang. I nearly have to slam it everytime or else it won't shut. A lot of the time it takes 2 to 3 pulls to get it to shut, but it is loud. My first thought were the rubber bumpers being they are as solid as a rock. They were glued on a while back so I just pulled them off. I purchased a new pair from "Pentastar Productions" turns out they are completely different than the old ones. I cut off the top rubber piece that was different and glued them on. They are slightly taller but softer. I still get the same bang, and I still have to slam it for it to close. Is this a mopar thing? When I am at shows i'll see cars that give off a quiet click when the decklid is shut. Anyone here have some suggestions on how to fix this?

Any info is appreciated, thanks

my 65 plymouth used to do something like this. when i would shut it bout half way down it would make a "clunk" or "bang" before i shut it. i think that my torsion springs are messed up or i have a flat spot in the hindges.

don't know if this helps

Can't help; 70 dart and duster only had a gasket. Are you sure the stand offs are original?

If you are having to slam it shut, how about adjusting the latch locking mechanizm up a little?
C

Is this the trunk? or hood? The bumpers on the hood adjust.

This is for the trunk. I guess I could try to adjust the latch, but im thinking it will leave a rather large gap from the decklid to the tailpanel. But it dosn't hurt to give it a shot.

Thanks

First off, when closed is the trunk aligned properly?

You may need to adjust latch.

The second bumpers look like hood pads that are along the edges.

First off, when closed is the trunk aligned properly?

You may need to adjust latch.

The second bumpers look like hood pads that are along the edges.

I tried adjusting the latch, but it was as far up as it could go. So those rectangular bumpers go along the rails around the trunk area? Maybe thats what is causing the loud bang.

If the torsion springs, bars, are making the noise, you can cover one with a length of sliced oped rubber hose.

I did some more investigating this evening. It sounds like the sound is coming from the passenger side of the decklid but inside. Seems like the inner skin has come apart in a certain spot and it's banging when the decklid is shut. Kinda of hard to explain but that is how it seems. But it should still close with the first pull. I think the bumpers may be to blame since they are not the correct ones. I'll puchase the right set and install them.

Thanks everyone.

Set the deck lid down lightly until it comes in contact with the rubber trunk seal. Press down slowly with the heels of your hands in the center over the latch, noting how far it goes down until the latch catches. It should take only a little pressure, certainly not a slam. When latched, is the gap correct and consistent across the whole width?

If the seal is resilient and compresses a bit when you push down, the latch should catch without excessive force. If it doesn't, you need to adjust the latch so that it catches with just a little pressure. All you want to do is make sure the trunk seal that surrounds the lip of the trunk opening is making contact around the entire perimeter and is slightly compressed to keep out dust and moisture.

The rubber bumpers are probably there to prevent metal-to-metal contact if the deck lid is slammed down too hard and exceeds the maximum amount of compression of the seal.

My two cents,
Jerry

Seems like the inner skin has come apart in a certain spot and it's banging when the decklid is shut.

I believe the factory placed globs of seam sealer between the outer and inner skins of the deck lid, just like you see exposed in some spots between the skin and subframe of your hood. Years of slamming has probably broken loose some of those globs and the metal sheets are hitting each other.

You can easily find out where by lightly tapping the outer skin with your fist. You'll hear a definite change in the sound when you get to the bad spot. It sounds solid where the seam sealer is intact, but you'll hear the "knocking" when you get over the spot where the sealer broke loose. Blow compressed air up into the deck lid through the holes where the hinges mount and you'll probably get some chunks to fly out the other side.

If that's not it, I don't know what else to tell you. :dontknow:
Jerry

I believe the factory placed globs of seam sealer between the outer and inner skins of the deck lid, just like you see exposed in some spots between the skin and subframe of your hood. Years of slamming has probably broken loose some of those globs and the metal sheets are hitting each other.

You can easily find out where by lightly tapping the outer skin with your fist. You'll hear a definite change in the sound when you get to the bad spot. It sounds solid where the seam sealer is intact, but you'll hear the "knocking" when you get over the spot where the sealer broke loose. Blow compressed air up into the deck lid through the holes where the hinges mount and you'll probably get some chunks to fly out the other side.

If that's not it, I don't know what else to tell you. :dontknow:
Jerry

Thats exactly what we did. Used our fists and lighty tapped the decklid surface and noticed the bad spot. I'll try the compressed air and use a blow gun. On how to fix that, I was thinking about insulation foam. The stuff thats in an aerosol can but when sprayed expands. That would probably deadened the sound. I wouldn't think it would do any damage to the actual metal of the decklid. You think this stuff would do the trick?

Thanks

-
Back