decode 440 blk

-

rbdart

Reaction score
Need to decode blk vin on a 440 blk...21046673 on right bottom pan rail....date code is 4-28-71 and stamped H440...1072 on front top pad...the '20146673' is the one I need to know about which tells what it came out of...any help would be appreciated..thanks...

21046673 looks incorrect. last six digits should be the last of the vin, but should not start with 0. if it is a late built vehicle, judging from the cast date 4-28-71 it could be that last number did not show...46673X?

that would leave 210. 2 should be a letter like L meaning 440, 1 would be 1971 vehicle, 0 should be a letter like G, ie., St Louis plant, B Hamtramck plant.

Sorry I put it in wrong..damn..its 20146673... will go back and double chk it and see if there is any letters or differences..ok I went back and chkd it with a light and a magnifying glass...the number above is it and the only thing that could be read differently is maybe the '0' is possibly a a 'C'.....

Sorry I put it in wrong..damn..its 20146673... will go back and double chk it and see if there is any letters or differences..ok I went back and chkd it with a light and a magnifying glass...the number above is it and the only thing that could be read differently is maybe the '0' is possibly a a 'C'.....

so the last six of the vin makes sense... 146673.
that leaves 2 which should be the year of the vehicle that it was pulled from, 1972. the 0 might be a G, which would be St. Louis plant. Or maybe a B which would be the Hamtramck plant.

Ok...so on the last six numbers being the vin#,how do I determine what they are/mean?

The last six don't tell you much, other than the unique vehicle number. The first six will give you general info about the car, ex lm23p9b is a dart, swinger, hardtop, 340, 1969, hamtramck built. So to get anymore info about what the engine came out of, you need the rest of the numbers.

Ok...so on the last six numbers being the vin#,how do I determine what they are/mean?

Each factories VIN (last 6 digits) generally started at 100001. Yes, there are exceptions to this rule. So subtract your last 6 from this number and it will tell you how many vehicles were produced from that specific factory (Hamtramck, St Louis, La. etc) of all lines. It can never tell you that you have the 100th '69 Road Runner as another factory (7th digit) may produce a RR and or GTX or Belve on the same line.
Technically you could have two or more cars with the same last 6 digits. but one digit of the VIN will be different.

Not sure if that answered your question.

Well thanks all for input..was just wondering what vehicle it came out of since its is a forged crank 440[std bore] with flat-tops in the hole just .038 and no valve reliefs..in which I'm fixing to flycut some in[valve reliefs] so I can use this motor in my dart with a comp xe290s cam and 77cc 906 heads...prob have to use a 2'' spacer just to get the comp down...har har lol...and yes the pistons are cast and the thickness is .495 so I can safely notch them up to .200 but prob will be around .100 or so...am going to mock it up and see where it all starts to rock and roll and go from there...gonna try for low to mid 9's comp and run pump gas...hopefully that will work....may not..may have to go another route entirely.....

What I would want to know is it should say 440-? and here should be a number.

Lots of info can be obtained from the casting # too

/http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/motor/36.html

-
Back