Decoding fender tag

-

Petty Blu 72

Reaction score
My first Mopar! I hear that the fender tag tells all. Can anyone tell me how to get the information on how this car came from the factory?
Here is a picture I took today of the fender tag.
I looked on the internet, but some did not come up, EN2, U , and others, can anyone tell me exactly how this Mopar rolled off the lot? Thanks

Looks like this now.

Attachments

• DSC07587.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 498
  • Duster in Garage.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 403
apparently you have 340 72' duster, automatic, built 12/16/71. D2B5 interior code, blue bench. factory A/C, white tape stripe, true blue metallic, with a basic street blue as well, odd to have to exterior codes,TB3 and GB5.
very nice car!

My first Mopar! I hear that the fender tag tells all. Can anyone tell me how to get the information on how this car came from the factory?
Here is a picture I took today of the fender tag.
I looked on the internet, but some did not come up, EN2, U , and others, can anyone tell me exactly how this Mopar rolled off the lot?

Sure we can! But instead of giving you a fish for today we would rather show you how you can fish for yourself and enable you to feast upon fender tag decoding! Go to http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=87 and plug all your codes into the template and voila! you will have your answers.

BTW, "U" meant it was produced for the U.S. market (instead of Canada, or international export, etc) and the "EN2" means end of codes/production line two. The "B" as the 7th digit of your VIN indicates your car was made at the Hamtramck plant. Hamtramck had two production lines - one and two. The "EN2" indicates end of codes and that your car rolled off of line two at Hamtramck.

true blue metallic, with a basic street blue as well, odd to have to exterior codes,TB3 and GB5.
very nice car!

The location of the "GB5" on the tag is for the upper door frame color on the interior side of the door. And I agree with you OMD, that is a super-nice looking Duster!

I'm glad I didn't see the picture first! I would have been way to distracted to look up the codes. That is a nice duster! ThanksRzeroB

'72 Duster 340/auto, Built on December 16, 1971 in Hamtramck, MI. TB3 Blue Streak paint with a Blue bench seat interior and White transverse stripes. All tinted glass, A/C with heat, Roof drip rail moldings, Electronic ignition, Dual exhaust with chrome tips, Solid state 2 watt AM radio.

How about a picture of the whole inner fender? do you have a broadcast sheet that came with the car?
Fender tag appears too be in a strange location because of where the washer bottle is. Also no paint on tag, corner not bent and the fonts are a little larger for a Ham. Mi. built.
May be a reproduction tag. No harm no foul if 1. you don't care 2. you have a broadcast sheet too back up what you think the car is. Not slamming your car, 72 340 Dusters are my thing and it looks great. Just trying too help you make sure you got what you got..

couple of pics of 72 untouched parts car. See where the fender tag is in relation to the washer bottle, and the next pic shows an original tag. you can see the difference in the color of both screw heads and the rusty part of the tag where the factory bent the tag upward with one screw installed so paint could be sprayed under the tag. Then the tag was pushed down and a unpainted screw was installed in other hole.

Attachments

• rear end 340 car 025.JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 303
  • restoration begins 057.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 352
Did see in your other pictures that the washer bottle has been move for the ignition system so that solves that mystery

Some added stuff you won’t get from the generic decoders. You should, if you haven't already, find the broadcast sheet.

The 6 and 4 imprints on the top of the tag are the inspector’s stamps. These are done during this cars assembly for various reasons.

VS - Plymouth, Duster 340
29 - 2 Door Sports Hardtop
H - 340
2 - 1972
B - Dodge Main, Hamtramck
269267 – Factory Build Sequence number

E55 - 340 1-4 barrel
D34 – TorqueFlite Automatic Transmission
TB3 – Basin Street Blue Body Color

D2B5
D2 = Straight Back Bench Seat w/integral head rests - vinyl material
B5 -
Bright Blue - Seat, Bolster, and instrument panel
Blue - Carpet w/Black Rubber floor mats standard
Medium Blue - Headliner and steering wheel

GB5 - Interior Door Frame (B5) True Blue Metallic
C16 – Scheduled Production Date - December 16, 1971
259936 - Order number
TB3 - Basin Street Blue Roof Color
U - Built to USA Specifications
G11 - All Glass Tinted
H51 - Air Conditioning
M21 - Drip Rail Moldings - VS29 Std
N23 - Electronic Ignition
N41 - Dual Exhaust
N42 - Chrome Exhaust Tips
R11 - Solid State AM Push Button Radio

V6W - VS29 Std
V6 = Vinyl - body side "340" stripe
W= White

V8W - VS29 Std
V8 = Vinyl - lower trunk (rear body panel) tape-out treatment
W = White

EN2: End of Sales Codes (2 was explained already)

3.23 open differential is standard

I don't see anything that jumps out as being a repop tag. Not all were bent just a large percentage of them were. I would think if purposely remade to fool they would have coded the black strips they installed instead of the white ones that are coded? Also the current bucket seats.. However you're right a broadcast sheet would be the tell-tale

How about a picture of the whole inner fender? do you have a broadcast sheet that came with the car?
Fender tag appears too be in a strange location because of where the washer bottle is. Also no paint on tag, corner not bent and the fonts are a little larger for a Ham. Mi. built.
May be a reproduction tag. No harm no foul if 1. you don't care 2. you have a broadcast sheet too back up what you think the car is. Not slamming your car, 72 340 Dusters are my thing and it looks great. Just trying too help you make sure you got what you got..

You all really know your stuff! I don't have the broadcast sheet, or really any information on or about the car itself. I am trying to contact the owner who sold it to the one I bought it from. Looked up his name in phone book white pages, and he still is listed in Madera Ca, but tel number rings to a fax. I will write him a letter to see if he responds. The car is in such great shape, could it be possible that the tag was removed before paint? Or could it be a reproduction? Maybe I'll find out soon.
Quite honestly true number matching does not matter to me. I am gonna enjoy it for what it is! :newb:

P.S. anyone that lives here by me in California remember this car near Madera Ca?

Attachments

• DSC07586.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 291
It would be typical to remove the tag to restore/paint the car. Many have been lost due to careless body shops. Previous owner could have had it at home and placed it back on the car after paint was done or just didn't paint it to make it stand out. It should be body color.

It is a beautiful car. It looks like it was someones labor of love. Lets see some more pictures of it!!

For the broadcast sheet try looking under the back seat bottom and back and see if the broadcast sheet is there.
There are also hidden VIN's on the car also look on the left rear quarter panel lip under the seal. You should be able to feel it or see it if looking from under. It may also be stamped to the rear parcel shelf (rear speaker panel) Another place is the left side of the core support on the top lip, generally an antifreeze sticker covers it if they replaced it after paint.
These numbers should match the VIN. If one doesn't verify the other does, as sometimes they do get in accidents over the years.

It is a beautiful car. It looks like it was someones labor of love. Lets see some more pictures of it!!

Do you mean the Duster or that equally sharp-looking C5 Vette sitting next to it?

Either way you are right on the money as usual Rocky - spot on and a wealth of information - you Rock (Rocky)!

-
Back