Defroster Ducts and Vents

-

MudFlap

Reaction score
Anyone know of a source for the defroster duct hoses? Mine are pretty bad off, and I need to replace em.

Also, where is the inlet for the vents? Every time I drive the ole girl, she blows more dust, leaves, twigs and mouse turds outta the vents. I took her up to 75 a coupla nights ago, and seriously was wishing I had safety goggles on. It blew so much **** in my eyes, I thought I was gonna lose my contacts. I had to reach down and shut the vent door. I need to blow some compressed air into the vents from the inlet side and purge it!

lowes show have some its not stock stuff but it works .. as for the crap coming at u are u talking bout them wing vents under the dash ? if so heres how i clean mine out after i messed up and opened them after it sat of 2 years a 65mph and with shorts on .. shorts are a baad ideal lol so where pants and some thing to shild ur eyes and then just run her tell see's clean

The fresh air vents are supplied by air coming thru the plenum in front of the windshield.
Leaves, pine needles and other junk like water get in there and become trapped.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=134919&highlight=cowl+vents

To clean them....
There are drain holes located at both ends of the cowl behind where the cowl and the front fender meet. About the only way to access them is to remove the fenders, apply air pressure thru the vents and have a shop vac sucking on the hole. Or you can remove the heater assembly and run a flexible shop vac hose up into the plenum from inside the car.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=71380&highlight=cowl+vents

Yes get them at auto parts. Yearone and I think classic has them but pricey.

Got mine (69 Cuda) from Valley Vintage, with sleeves $US45.00. Ph.440-355-4085.

On my '64 The stuff falls in and gets blown through the heater/vent system.
There are two plastic oval plugs on the firewall. These openings are for clean out access. Size a somewhat ridged extention hose to a shop vac and clean out by vaccuming. Also there are the vent drainage holes [slots] between the body and fender -open the doors to see-and 'access holes' on the engine side. Use a plastic coated electrical wire to clear. Alternating with the vaccum set-up helps. I found out that all the years' of crap had rusted out the vent/heater "stacks" right and left. That became puddles on the floor after every rain= Another story.
Back to the debris problem: Take your heater out, open it up and clean. While it is a "fun job" involving the heater core hoses, as well as the cable and electrical controls, Having a good clean running system is worth the work.
P.S. Look under your doors and (on two doors the rear side windows-under body) for water drains. If they do not drain the water that runs down the side windows alot of body damage can occur.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Now, for the next problem - damn heater isn't workin very well. I'll start a new thread for that one

-
Back