Degreeing a Cam..

-

purplebeast

Reaction score
As I have posted here before, I'm building up the 273 in my Dart. I'm going with a Comp Cams XE 256H. My question is: is it worth the trouble to degree the cam on a street motor? I'm using a true roller timing chain, which should be more accurate than the stock setup w/nylon gears. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Its probably a good idea. Timing chains arent always marked right, even the good ones.

always worth it in my opinion---no matter what its on---i always degree it. you can really change the way the motor acts. buy a set of cam keys (not crank keys--they are available too). mopars generally like advanced cams. im guessing they want it in at 110 or 108, me i'd stick it in at 106 or 104---as long as you have enough static compression.

here is comps link for instructions---one the best ways i have seen yet to do it. http://www.compcams.com/Technical/CurrentCatalog/HTML/413-414.asp

--chad

mopars generally like advanced cams. im guessing they want it in at 110 or 108, me i'd stick it in at 106 or 104---as long as you have enough static compression.

wouldnt advancing it add more cranking pressure ?

CompCams says to install them at 106.

ooops, sorry, your absolutly right. good catch adam. dont know what the hell i was thinking on that one.

but seriously though, every mopar i have seen, seems to work better on an advanced cam. even if it already has stout compression. a bunch of us have tried it and it always seems to pick up. some of us have even installed them at 99-100 degrees. generally, if its an off the shelf cam, i'l put them in at 3-4 degrees less than whats specified--unless im trying to achieve some desired effect on valve timing.

Thanks for the replies, I'll go ahead and degree it. One thing I'm not quite clear on is deliberately advancing or retarding the cam. I know it can affect the powerband of the engine. If I want more bottom end and less top end, would I advance or retard? Also, I understand it can have an affect on the compression. Is that correct? Thanks.

Advancing the cam will give you more cranking pressure and more low end. Comp Cams says to install it at 106 which is 4 degrees advanced.

-
Back