Degreeing Cam 360

-

moparspares

Reaction score
Hi Folks

My Hughes Cam is supposed to be installed at 107* When I installed my cam I had it in at 109* which is the best I could get it. I talked to Dave at Hughes Engines and he suggested a 2* degree offset key used on cam not on the crankshaft. I installed the 2* offset key on cam and now the cam centreline is at 105*

So the 2* key has advanced it 4 degrees from the 109*. Should I leave it there or try to correct with a timing set that has more adjustment.

I wonder how a 2° key translates to a 4° change???

I think I'd put the straight key in and retry.

Leave it. Over time your chain will wear and stretch and retard your cam timing some.

Low static compression, probably not a bad thing if the cam is pretty big.

Impossible to say where it should be installed based on the info in post. If Dave recommended 107, that's a good place to start, might it like more advance, maybe. If it's ground on a 112 Separation angle, then going to 105, may not be a good thing.

Here's a similar question. It's weds, is my GF wearing her Weds panties or some other day? :)

Low static compression, probably not a bad thing if the cam is pretty big.

Impossible to say where it should be installed based on the info in post. If Dave recommended 107, that's a good place to start, might it like more advance, maybe. If it's ground on a 112 Separation angle, then going to 105, may not be a good thing.

Here's a similar question. It's weds, is my GF wearing her Weds panties or some other day?

/QUOTE]

Cam Specs HUG HER3642ALN-10

1.6 ratio Rockers Intake Lift .568" Ex Lift .560"
Intake Duration at .050" 236*
Ex Durtion at .050" 242*
Lobe Sep 110*

Engine Comp 10.2 - 1 - Forged Probe pistons MP stroker crank
Ported Edelbrock Magnum Heads flowing 286 Intake and 203 exhaust at .550" lift

I am leaning towards leaving it as is.

Pump gas?

I would not advance it more than 107-108 range.

^I agree
I would have left it where is was to begin with, imo with that build it will be fine straight up or slightly advanced.

The cam turns 180 degrees for every 360 degrees of crank rotation.

Am I not thinking right here?
If I install an offset key in the cam gear it should always come up the same ° on the compression stroke, right? Will the change not be on the exhaust stroke?

Am I not thinking right here?
If I install an offset key in the cam gear it should always come up the same ° on the compression stroke, right? Will the change not be on the exhaust stroke?

It will move all of the cam "events" 2° when you install an offset key...

Both intake and exhaust....

It will move all of the cam "events" 2° when you install an offset key...

Both intake and exhaust....

I agree!

But I think the OP said its changed 4° rather than the 2° for the key installed.
Is he measuring on the exhaust stroke when getting the 4° difference?

Help! I need some training here!

I always degree a cam by checking the actual valve timing events of the cam card at .050 vs ICL method. Doing so allows you check both Intake and exhaust events per the cam specs you ordered. Using this method IMO is more accurate.

I would suggest (1) degree it again to confirm your readings (2) call Dave & see what he says. (3) I'm assuming your VP clearance is safe

I always degree a cam by checking the actual valve timing events of the cam card at .050 vs ICL method. Doing so allows you check both Intake and exhaust events per the cam specs you ordered. Using this method IMO is more accurate.

I start as soon as I see the dial indicator needle move.

then do .001", .005", .050", and every .050" after that until max lift and then back down.

Then take the matching readings (ie. .050" up and down, or .100" up and down, and find the center of these two readings for centerline.

I would suggest (1) degree it again to confirm your readings (2) call Dave & see what he says. (3) I'm assuming your VP clearance is safe

You should always check piston to valve clearance after the cam is degreed and set to the desired installed position. It can affect piston to valve clearance when you bump the cam forward or back when you degree it...

...........I oiuld definitely check the piston to valve clearance, but with it being already together u may as well leave it at 109 to be safe otherwise ur flirting with disaster...kim...

-
Back