Degreeing my camshaft

-

Reaction score
I am going to be playing around with degreeing the camshaft that is in my truck now too see where its at. I plan to do this with engine in truck and hope to not run across any problems.

I have rad. and A/C condenser out of the way so it looks like removing the cam ( eventually ) and replacing it with a re-grind will be do-able.

I have had these two degree wheels a few years, the blue one the slant bolt is nice and snug on, the black one the hole is a bit larger so sloppy, I am assuming there is no problem with using the blue one but its worth asking cause this is new for me.

Id like to have a larger one cause its easier to read but hoping this one will do fine.

I also need to get my own piston stop tool, I know one can be made but its easier for me to just spend the 10-15 bucks and buy one. I see them with different features like pressure release and also see different M.M sizes listed.

I dont know what millimeter size plug slant has.

Can anyone recommend a good one to buy?

Attachments

• Picture 509.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 144
if its a drool tube head which i dont think it is from your other thread its 18mm, i dont know about the newer heads

No, slants should be 14mm

18mm is the great big "Ferd" older plugs 353/390/ older 289 / 302 etc etc

Not that I've ever heard of. There was a change in the very early (60-62?) spark plug tubes and you left the plug washers ON with those as I understand.

Long about 74? 75? they went to a tapered seat plug

Hydraulic engine, 1980 up. I guess I need to find a signature edit button

So just to clarify, 18 MM plug for this late slant?

I would like to SEE an 18mm slant. So far as I know, they are 14mm

See this? This is a plug thread chaser. The large top one is 18mm. The small bottom one is 14mm

To put this in perspective, ALL passenger car and light truck B and RB engines used short reach 14mm plugs. ALL passenger and light truck SB engines used 14mm LONG reach plugs. Any slant I've ever worked on uses 14mm long reach plugs.

9020705_atc_ac544w80539_pri_larg.jpg

So far as I know, the only 'real' difference is the late plugs is wrench hex size, the newer plugs are 5/8 wrench, the old ones were 13/16

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/NGK-ZFR5N-V-Power-Spark-Plug/dp/B000CJ3Y0M"]Amazon.com: NGK (3459) ZFR5N V-Power Spark Plug, Pack of 1: Automotive[/ame]

5/8 hex late plug:

41BsNOYEhNL.jpg

Traditional 13/16 hex N9-Y,

n7yc_23.jpg

the 3459 plug is a drool tube plug, they changed in the peanut head. Ive never owned or played with a peanut head so its not engrained in my brain...

Thanks, I ordered a Pro-form 66792 from E-bay. 10 bucks free shipping, cant beat that. Didnt give the size but doing a search over on .org someone there made a post indicating this is what he was using.

Sure looks like the smaller 14 MM size

-
Back