Delayed upshift to Drive

-

Kudabill

Reaction score
I have a 1966 Barracuda with a 318, 4bbl and 904 transmission. It shifts from low to second fine but has a long delay to drive, especially when driving below 45 mph. Is there a simple linkage adjustment or would this be internal?
Thanks.

TV linkage could need adjusting, is usually goes WOT = full travel, plus or minus 1/8" for fine tuning. When you say delay, do you mean it slides slowly into gear, or shifts fast and late?

I think since I replaced the engine about 5 years ago but it seems to be getting a little worse and more aggrevating. It has just been something I've tolerated for too long.

If the shift linkage adjustment doesn't work. I'd drop the pan, take out the valve body and make sure all the spool valves are moving smoothly with a pick on the lower landing, NOT the smooth part that rides the bore, sounds like some trash in the 2-3 valve. Check em all out though.

It's something you can do in an afternoon, as these are straight forward to deal with.

If you don't want a bath in red oil, you can disconnect the pump line, the front line closest to engine on the transmission, at the radiator, stick it in a bucket and turn the car on, having a spotter watch when it stops flowing, turn it off, then drop the pan.

Here's a diagram:

8003645c.gif

Sure, happy to help, I'm sure others will weigh in as well, you'll get it figured out shortly.

If you don't want a bath in red oil, you can disconnect the pump line, the front line closest to engine on the transmission, at the radiator, stick it in a bucket and turn the car on, having a spotter watch when it stops flowing, turn it off, then drop the pan.

HEY NOW THAT"S A GREAT IDEA! I'm used to making messes. I'll have to try this next time. - Good tip.

-
Back