Delays when first hitting the throttle

-

ClarkDart70

Street Machines Limited
Reaction score
Ok guys, so I noticed a slight delay the other day when I first hit the go pedal at a light and now it seems to be getting a little worse by the day. It also has been harder to start lately, turning over for about 30 secs before firing.
I still have the stock 2 barrel on my 318 with a stock coil and distributer so I those are the two places I would assume to look first but I wanted to see if there were any common issues I am yet unaware of with the carter 2 barrel or stock coil/distributer. All the vacuum lines are connected and are not leaking.
I plan on having the carb rebuilt next week and was going to just put a new fuel pump on at the same time so I know what I have under the hood(I just bought the car a month ago and its the original stuff). Any other suggestions? Replace the coil? Distributer? It runs extremely well at cruising speed, its just getting harder to start and sputters off the line.
While this has been going on, its been getting warmer outside.... any correlation there?

Thanks,
Clark

Check your point gap, condenser & timing. Typical tune up items. A switch to an electronic ignition would probably be a good step. I would normally think the hesitation would be related to the carb, but with the hard starting issues I would give the ignition system a good going over first. Plugs & wires as well as the previously mentioned points/condenser. Check cap & rotor too.

Ok, just ordered a points eliminator kit through Pertronix, have my carb scheduled for rebuild this Wednesday, and will stop to buy a new fuel pump tomorrow at NAPA (its only $20).

Wheres the acellerator pump located?

I'll check all the timing and other stuff once I build a clean slate to go off of. Anything else anyone can think of?

I would try to check the fuel pump before replacing it. I don't think it is your problem. Carbs usually have enough fuel in the bowl to at least get the car to start, and yours does start, and once its going seems to be ok. Just trying to save you $20.

-
Back