demon carb

-

stroker mike

Reaction score
In the tech articles on mopar muscle's website there is an article about a 400 horse 318. They are running a 750 demon, and everyone I know says my 600 holley is big enough. now, I don't have 400 horses, but I'd like to, wouldn't the large carb reduce velocity too much? but the dyno don't lie...They are running magnum heads, but the article interested me cause it stressed no porting or expensive machine work, and I have lightly ported 2.02 J heads on my 318, so I suppose I have semi-comparable flow, maybe, I know magnums flow better than J's, but anyhow the article is interesting, they have KB hyper's in there and run a 100 shot for over 500 horses!! Now, I can really dig that.:-k

Are you running a stock bottom end? If you are then your compression ratio is way off from what they are running. With the components they put together they have good quench and velocity. Your combo is just the opposite with the j-heads, if they are not milled or worked. With the larger runners and Low compression your velocity is probably alot less than running a magnum or 302 head. So I guess I'm saying that I would stick with the 600 for now.

it is a stock bottom end, but from a police ELE option. from what I understand, they had 72cc chambers, and an 8:1 cr. These J's have 68cc chambers, so I am hoping the cr is up a bit. I do not know if the deck on the heads were milled or not, I really need to do a psi reading and apply the math, but I haven't purchased a compression tester yet. My cam that I chose for it originally was a hughes muscle car cam, but I went with a herbert 215/225 cam instead. I haven't put it in yet, but I will soon as I get the new shafts for my roller rockers and new pushrods. It is on a 112 lsa instead of the 107 of the hughes. might give me a bit more torque. It has a low rise offenhauser 360 on it, too, which will come off at the time of the cam swap in favor of a dual port high rise 360 that I have, which will do till I can afford an rpm air gap. If I don't get the results I want from this combo I will swap it all onto a 360 with some 9.5:1's in it, we'll see what happens.

-
Back