Demon Cluster Change.... Sequence??

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
I'm working on a '72 Demon, and the gauge cluster must come out to be changed...... It has an auto on the column, and the shift selector is smack in the middle of the road..... I removed the steering wheel & turn signal handle, BUT the nylon selector system inside the bell is hard-wired, and I can find no plug to disconnect it....... SO, what do I do now that it's all apart (aside from clean and recondition it)....... Do I have to drop the steering column down some to get the cluster out????

My '67 Cuda is MUCH easier.......I've done it a number of times without incident.......This Demon is living up to it's namesake.......I've already busted the center dash plate (radio plate), assuming it "snapped" in like a normal old Mopar...... SURPRISE........now I found the nuts behind the air controls.

I really don't want to break anything else here........Can someone please give me a working sequence on how to get this column out of the way so I can work on the gauges???........ Or is there something else I'm missing here?

I can get the dash out of the Cuda without disconnecting any cables or plugs...........Do I have to go in under the dash and disconnect everything first on the Demon??...................................Nightmare.

I'd appreciate the help of any A-Body dash veterans.

Thanks.....................Doc

you will have to disconnect the winsheild wiper switch, the speedometer and the headlight switch. drop the column down, this will also have to be done. the dash is pretty fragile around the screw holes so becareful and remove them all. the bottom of the sterring clolumn also has a cover that must be removed as well. tilt forward and that should do it. i'm no vetran but i have taken about 4 of these things out in the junkyard. good practice!

7demon2 said:
you will have to disconnect the winsheild wiper switch, the speedometer and the headlight switch. drop the column down, this will also have to be done. the dash is pretty fragile around the screw holes so becareful and remove them all. the bottom of the sterring clolumn also has a cover that must be removed as well. tilt forward and that should do it. i'm no vetran but i have taken about 4 of these things out in the junkyard. good practice!

Just to add..The Ampmeter is hard wired (+) from Alt with little bolts, and there isn't a lot of play. (Time for a sore neck) :notworth:

Be very careful as the steering column still gets in the way. I cracked the one coming out of my duster. THe plastic bottoms are pretty fragile. I had to buy my wife another one.

-
Back