Demon rear tire/wheel combo question??

-

wkroncke17

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
All,
Have stock wheel well and wheel opening on my Demon.
Rear springs are moved in 3".
Would a 15x10" wheel work?
What offset....5 1/2"?
Also, what would the best tire size be for this wheel/stock wheel opening.

Pics if you have them please??

Thanks guys!!

Wally.

What rear axle are you running? BBP or SBP? What springs in the back?

Stock wheel wells and opening by themselves are pretty limiting. The 3" relocation only buys you about an extra 1/2" of space if the stock wheel tub stays in place. Unless you raise the ride height significantly in the back, you won't get much more than a 275/60/15 in there.

I have 295/35/18's on my Duster (same wheel tub size as a Demon). To do that I did a 1/2" spring offset and cut about a 1/2" off my quarter lips. The 295/35/18's have a section width of ~11.9", but I'm still at the limits. Before I added my rear sway bar I was getting some rubbing on both the inner wheel well and outer wheel well with body roll from going over speed bumps, cornering, etc. The sway bar cleared that up, but I don't have any extra room. My car sits pretty low though.

In a 15" rim you pretty much have 275/60/15's or 295/50/15's for tires unless you go to drag radials. The 295/50/15's typically have a 12.2" section width. You won't get those into the stock tubs without also cutting/rolling the quarter lips, or raising the back end of the car pretty high to clear them. Or maybe both.

What rear axle are you running? BBP or SBP? What springs in the back?

Stock wheel wells and opening by themselves are pretty limiting. The 3" relocation only buys you about an extra 1/2" of space if the stock wheel tub stays in place. Unless you raise the ride height significantly in the back, you won't get much more than a 275/60/15 in there.

I have 295/35/18's on my Duster (same wheel tub size as a Demon). To do that I did a 1/2" spring offset and cut about a 1/2" off my quarter lips. The 295/35/18's have a section width of ~11.9", but I'm still at the limits. Before I added my rear sway bar I was getting some rubbing on both the inner wheel well and outer wheel well with body roll from going over speed bumps, cornering, etc. The sway bar cleared that up, but I don't have any extra room. My car sits pretty low though.

In a 15" rim you pretty much have 275/60/15's or 295/50/15's for tires unless you go to drag radials. The 295/50/15's typically have a 12.2" section width. You won't get those into the stock tubs without also cutting/rolling the quarter lips, or raising the back end of the car pretty high to clear them. Or maybe both.

Thank you very much for the detailed response!
I will be runnning S/S Springs. (002/003) w/Moser 4 1/2" BP.
I have the chance to buy 15"x10" wheels with 5 1/2" back space.
Hoping to make them work, but want to be sure and decide what size tire before I pull the trigger.
BTW - hoping for mid 11's - running a 4:30 gear.

Thank you very much for the detailed response!
I will be runnning S/S Springs. (002/003) w/Moser 4 1/2" BP.
I have the chance to buy 15"x10" wheels with 5 1/2" back space.
Hoping to make them work, but want to be sure and decide what size tire before I pull the trigger.
BTW - hoping for mid 11's - running a 4:30 gear.

Ok, down to the last question. Are you going to be running the BBP Moser axles with BBP brakes (10x2.5") or are you running their BBP axles that still use a SBP flange offset with SBP brakes (10x1.75"). I know, now we're really getting down to it. Makes a difference though, about 5/16" per side. Doesn't sound like much until the tires rub, then it seems like a mile.

Assuming you're going to run the BBP axles and brakes, the 15x10's with 295/50/15's would stick out about a 1/2" further than my tires do. That would basically put them even with the outside lip of the quarter panel. If it were my car, they'd rub like crazy because of my ride height. They'd probably touch just sitting still, it would never work. But, you have two things working in your favor. The 295/50/15's actually have a narrower tread width than my 295/35/18's, even though my tires have a narrower section width. That's because of the curve on the sidewall- my lower profile tires with a short sidewall are more square, the 295/50/15's have a lot more curve on the sidewall, so, you have more room at the top where it would rub. And you're running SS springs. Which means, more than likely, they wouldn't rub. Your ride height will be a couple inches higher than mine, and those springs are quite a bit stiffer. So, it would totally depend on your ride height. What I would say about that combination is that they don't really fit, because they won't fit into the wheel well. But, depending on your ride height, they may not rub at all. If your car sits high enough, it won't be a problem. Lower it and they won't fit.

If you run the Moser's with SBP brakes re-drilled to 5x4.5", you'd have a little more room to the outside and less to the inside. Which honestly would put you pretty close to rubbing on the inside, especially with the extra sidewall flex those tires will have. 275/60/15's would fit easy, but, they aren't recommended for a 15x10" rim, they'd be better on a 15x8 or 15x9.

Last edited:
You might get away with some 275s on that 10" wheel as they will curve in a bit at the top... and super stock springs don't really move much.

IMG_0930.JPG

Ok, down to the last question. Are you going to be running the BBP Moser axles with BBP brakes (10x2.5") or are you running their BBP axles that still use a SBP flange offset with SBP brakes (10x1.75"). I know, now we're really getting down to it. Makes a difference though, about 5/16" per side. Doesn't sound like much until the tires rub, then it seems like a mile.

Assuming you're going to run the BBP axles and brakes, the 15x10's with 295/50/15's would stick out about a 1/2" further than my tires do. That would basically put them even with the outside lip of the quarter panel. If it were my car, they'd rub like crazy because of my ride height. They'd probably touch just sitting still, it would never work. But, you have two things working in your favor. The 295/50/15's actually have a narrower tread width than my 295/35/18's, even though my tires have a narrower section width. That's because of the curve on the sidewall- my lower profile tires with a short sidewall are more square, the 295/50/15's have a lot more curve on the sidewall, so, you have more room at the top where it would rub. And you're running SS springs. Which means, more than likely, they wouldn't rub. Your ride height will be a couple inches higher than mine, and those springs are quite a bit stiffer. So, it would totally depend on your ride height. What I would say about that combination is that they don't really fit, because they won't fit into the wheel well. But, depending on your ride height, they may not rub at all. If your car sits high enough, it won't be a problem. Lower it and they won't fit.

If you run the Moser's with SBP brakes re-drilled to 5x4.5", you'd have a little more room to the outside and less to the inside. Which honestly would put you pretty close to rubbing on the inside, especially with the extra sidewall flex those tires will have. 275/60/15's would fit easy, but, they aren't recommended for a 15x10" rim, they'd be better on a 15x8 or 15x9.

Small Bolt pattern flanges - 10"x1.75" brakes - every 1/16" counts!

Small Bolt pattern flanges - 10"x1.75" brakes - every 1/16" counts!

Well, that will make the outboard clearance better, although I'm super happy to be rid of trying to find SBP drum brake parts. I guess everything is available at the moment though.

So, the 275/60/15's should fit the wheel well just fine, you'll just have to decide if you want to stretch the tires on a set of 15x10's. Largest recommended for most manufacturer's is a 15x9.5 for a 275/60/15. The 295/50/15 will fit the rim, and probably won't rub with your suspension set up. But that will still be a ride height dependent fit, and it will be tight everywhere. Some adjustments will undoubtedly be necessary depending on your ride height and how much your body tolerances vary from side to side. One side is almost always tighter than the other, and when you're pushing the limits that can be an issue.

Well, that will make the outboard clearance better, although I'm super happy to be rid of trying to find SBP drum brake parts. I guess everything is available at the moment though.

So, the 275/60/15's should fit the wheel well just fine, you'll just have to decide if you want to stretch the tires on a set of 15x10's. Largest recommended for most manufacturer's is a 15x9.5 for a 275/60/15. The 295/50/15 will fit the rim, and probably won't rub with your suspension set up. But that will still be a ride height dependent fit, and it will be tight everywhere. Some adjustments will undoubtedly be necessary depending on your ride height and how much your body tolerances vary from side to side. One side is almost always tighter than the other, and when you're pushing the limits that can be an issue.

I used 10 inch rims on my Demon with the 3 inch spring in board kit, stock width
Demon 2 001.jpg
rear and no mini tub. I put M/T 28/10.5 W slick. I think I used 4 7/8 back space.

I used 10 inch rims on my Demon with the 3 inch spring in board kit, stock widthView attachment 1715089587 rear and no mini tub. I put M/T 28/10.5 W slick. I think I used 4 7/8 back space.

How much room did you have to the inside toward the spring?
Is the outer Wheel well opening stock?
Awesome Demon!
Thanks!!

How much room did you have to the inside toward the spring?
Is the outer Wheel well opening stock?
Awesome Demon!
Thanks!!

The little bit of the wheel house that sticks out above the frame I heated and knocked in with a hammer. It looked fine when I got done. I don't remember how much room it had back there but it never rubbed. The car got totaled while PARKED in the staging lane at one of my local drag strip. The outer wheel well was stock.

The little bit of the wheel house that sticks out above the frame I heated and knocked in with a hammer. It looked fine when I got done. I don't remember how much room it had back there but it never rubbed. The car got totaled while PARKED in the staging lane at one of my local drag strip. The outer wheel well was stock.

That sucks! How did it get totalled?

I have Holeshot Wheels, like D-50394 appears to have, and their offsets are typically built with 7/8" increments i.e.: 4 7/8", 5 7/8", etc. But they can make some adjustments. Only concern is that they are not street legal, although some do run them on the street anyway.

My Dart Sport has the same wheelwells as a Demon and Duster. My SS springs are moved in 3/4" and I have 10" rims, 4 7/8" offset with Hoosier 9"x30" radial slicks. Section width is about 12.25". The fender lips are heavily rolled and the biggest clearance issue was the front of the wheel opening. Width-wise, I have plenty of room. Moser axles are big bolt pattern with OEM B/E body brakes.

I have Holeshot Wheels, like D-50394 appears to have, and their offsets are typically built with 7/8" increments i.e.: 4 7/8", 5 7/8", etc. But they can make some adjustments. Only concern is that they are not street legal, although some do run them on the street anyway.

My Dart Sport has the same wheelwells as a Demon and Duster. My SS springs are moved in 3/4" and I have 10" rims, 4 7/8" offset with Hoosier 9"x30" radial slicks. Section width is about 12.25". The fender lips are heavily rolled and the biggest clearance issue was the front of the wheel opening. Width-wise, I have plenty of room. Moser axles are big bolt pattern with OEM B/E body brakes.

Its an honor to have the Champion reply to my thread!!!
I'm going to run a 28" tall tire at the most, so I hope the wheel well doesnt need any work?
I plan on running Billet Specialties wheels - 15" x 10" with a 5 1/2" offset.
I'm pretty sure I'll have room.
Thanks so Much Locomotion - Love the Dart, keep up the good work!!

I run a 275/60/15(28") tire on an 8" wheel with 4.5" backspacing, suspension was all stock last year in stock location, this year I did add the Dr.Diff kit that moves the leaf springs in a half inch for a little more room. Rear wheel opening is stock.
I doubt a 10" wheel would fit my car without jacking up the rear height.

20150905_194530.jpg

I run a 275/60/15(28") tire on an 8" wheel with 4.5" backspacing, suspension was all stock last year in stock location, this year I did add the Dr.Diff kit that moves the leaf springs in a half inch for a little more room. Rear wheel opening is stock.
I doubt a 10" wheel would fit my car without jacking up the rear height.

View attachment 1715100275

That car is badass!

I run M/T drag radials. 275/60/15 on a 15x8 wheel 4.5"BS . I moved my springs in 3/4" as well tons of room. Another local duster brother, ran 15x10 with 5.5" BS with 28x10.5x15 slicks. thats the max fit in stock wheel well.

2rc9x5j.jpg

You can get 10" rims into stock wheel tub, you just have to trim the quarter lip back to the spot welds between the tub and the quarter. I have 18x10's on my car with a 1/2" offset, and about a 1/2" trimmed off the quarter lip. The 295/35/18's I run have an 11.9" section, which is wider than a 28x10.5x15" which usually have a 11.7" section. Tread width on the 295's is wider too at ~11.1", the 18" rims make the tire a lot more square than the 15's. And my car sits low, so, it wouldn't be as close on most cars as it is on mine.

It's a tough comparison though because the sidewalls on the 295/35/18's are a lot less flexible, I can get away with less clearance than you need for a 28" tall tire on a 15" rim.

img_4427-jpg.jpg

He isn't asking about 18" wheels he is asking about 15" wheels.

Thank you, definitely not an 18" wheel guy..

Doesn’t matter. Look at the section widths and do the math. Yes, you’ll need more clearance with the tall tires and 15” rims because of the flexibility of the sidewalls, but I addressed that in my post. You’ll have the extra room because those tires are smaller than mine.

The point was, and is, that I have wider tires on my car at a lower ride height than what you were asking about, and yes, you can fit 10” wide rims on there if you want to do the 1/2” spring offset and are willing to do a little trimming on the quarter lip. With the higher ride height and smaller tires you should have the clearance you need.

Doesn’t matter. Look at the section widths and do the math. Yes, you’ll need more clearance with the tall tires and 15” rims because of the flexibility of the sidewalls, but I addressed that in my post. You’ll have the extra room because those tires are smaller than mine.

The point was, and is, that I have wider tires on my car at a lower ride height than what you were asking about, and yes, you can fit 10” wide rims on there if you want to do the 1/2” spring offset and are willing to do a little trimming on the quarter lip. With the higher ride height and smaller tires you should have the clearance you need.

What??? Math?? Ugh!!! Just kidding - but thank you for doing it for me.
I understand what you were pointing out now and appreciate the info.
I have a feeling the 15x10 with the 5 1/2" backspace will work.
I'm going for it.
I will post pics when I get them on - car is on a rotisserie, so it may be awhile yet.
Thanks all!'

What??? Math?? Ugh!!! Just kidding - but thank you for doing it for me.
I understand what you were pointing out now and appreciate the info.
I have a feeling the 15x10 with the 5 1/2" backspace will work.
I'm going for it.
I will post pics when I get them on - car is on a rotisserie, so it may be awhile yet.
Thanks all!'

:thumbsup:

-
Back