demon rehash

-

Tawny Demon

Reaction score
This winter I am going back through the demon getting it ready for the strip full time I am going to post my ideas and updates of the project with hopes of input and help from fellow racers who have been the done that

1. The engine my plan is to make it a 14.1 solid roller 340 the engine will consist of a 68 340 block .030 over bore 6.123 length h beam rods an a set of diamond custom pistons the crank is knifed and balance it uses a custom 8.5 qart oil pan with milodon windage tray that can is a crower solid roller 268/274@50 and 645/623 lift 106 LSA it will be in at 102 lobe center with 1.5 roller rockers and a light weigh valve train this motor is ment to rev the heads are extremely ported j heads with 2.02 intake and 1.60 exhaust I use a old edelbrock tarantula manifold with a holley based mutt 950 double pumper Mopar performance electronic ignition and a mallory mag coil

The converter is a ati 8" 5000 stall in front of new a race built 904a full manual valve bodie with trans brake the rear end is a spooled 8.75 489 case with 4.56 gears with 28" x10" slicks in a 2800lbs car

What do you think the et would be? What class would I fall into? What would be the ruff HP number ? And what you guys think?
Thanks Andrew

Very cool Andrew! And I've always loved your car...

I love the high rpm build you're going to do. At this point, I'd just say to get meticulous machine work & balancing, and look into the oiling system mods for the kind of rpm potential you'll have. As far as the intake, a old bud of mine ran a TM-5 on a 340 to 7k. It was decent at the time, but I'd have to think a Super Victor would be a better choice these days.

Horsepower wise, it will depend on the head flow? I'd guess high 400's at this point with the Tarantula. How far are you willing to go to lighten the weight? 2800lbs with driver is "seriously" light with all the stockish components still intact. Regardless, at anything close to that weight and a good suspension, you need to keep in mind it will be fast enough to need some "pipe" in the interior.

The car was at 2800 hundred pounds with out bars and chassis reenforcement I love to be there again I plan on ditching the traction bars plus the car already has chrome molly roll bar 6 pt sub frame connecters I plan on removing the factory front and back seat s and useing a pair of a100 buckets also I am planning of running a race weight fiberglass 6 pack hood that litfs off

Attachments

• IMG_20141109_144700478.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_20140819_144316869.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_20140819_144357346.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_20140916_091820095.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 249
I have a Duster that I just ran two weeks ago in a tnt after sitting 2 years. Its a 340 13.1 comp so Im told small crane solid 560 lift mild ported X heads strip dominator tti 1 3/4 headers 727 5200 stall 4.88 gears 29.5 x12 slicks. It has a factory bench that I just put back in 6 point roll bar subframe conn. No back seat metal rear bulkhead battery in trunk 8 gal fuel cell. It has full Caltracs that aren't tuned yet, Wilwood front discs tube upper control arms. Weighed it at the track 2910 without me in it. Im 240. I got it down to 11.39 at 116 mph 1.60 60 ft. It traps at 6800 I have a little bit of tunning to do to the carb it might be a little small around 800 cfm. I need to play with shock adjustment in rear as I had it set on 1. way to soft. I think it will run 11.20s once I get the carb and shocks sorted. Its a foot brake car I leave off idle it picks thhe front off the ground runs straight and brakes great. Fun to drive. I had some W2s I was planning on installing but I don't think so now. I don't know where you will run it but Im at sea level. Tune it it takes time but you should be in the 10s with tuning. I would also like to run aluminum rods.

I have a Duster that I just ran two weeks ago in a tnt after sitting 2 years. Its a 340 13.1 comp so Im told small crane solid 560 lift mild ported X heads strip dominator tti 1 3/4 headers 727 5200 stall 4.88 gears 29.5 x12 slicks. It has a factory bench that I just put back in 6 point roll bar subframe conn. No back seat metal rear bulkhead battery in trunk 8 gal fuel cell. It has full Caltracs that aren't tuned yet, Wilwood front discs tube upper control arms. Weighed it at the track 2910 without me in it. Im 240. I got it down to 11.39 at 116 mph 1.60 60 ft. It traps at 6800 I have a little bit of tunning to do to the carb it might be a little small around 800 cfm. I need to play with shock adjustment in rear as I had it set on 1. way to soft. I think it will run 11.20s once I get the carb and shocks sorted. Its a foot brake car I leave off idle it picks the front off the ground runs straight and brakes great. Fun to drive. I had some W2s I was planning on installing but I don't think so now. I don't know where you will run it but Im at sea level. Tune it it takes time but you should be in the 10s with tuning. I would also like to run aluminum rods.

Not to make a classified ad of it but I have a lot of the parts on your list sitting around, some are listed for sale and some aren't yet. If you are interested pm me. I've got new 13:1 pistons, a whole solid roller set up with similar specs, a ported intake, heck I even have a barely used balancer. Like I said, if you have an interest in anything pm me

Who makes aluminum 340 rods

I don't know why you would want to use aluminum rods for? You would need a clean neutral trans so you don't slow the car down with the engine it will try to pull the rods apart. You can buy a good set of steel rods that would take the abuse. Also I would run a better intake like a Super Victor or a Holley Dominator single plane.

Attachments

• IMG_20140607_191237_116 (2) (800x451).jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 186
x ? on the intake, needs to go if you have the spare funds. I wouldnt entertain the thought of throwing money at aluminum rods either.

Good thanks on the rod advise I will stick with what my machinest says the intake I can change i ll probly go with a super victor

I don't know why you would want to use aluminum rods for? You would need a clean neutral trans so you don't slow the car down with the engine it will try to pull the rods apart. You can buy a good set of steel rods that would take the abuse. Also I would run a better intake like a Super Victor or a Holley Dominator single plane.

I agree with him on the rods. For this combo they are not needed at all. The holley is a great intake, with some work it can out perform the victor, if you want a holley I've got one for ya.

Pulled the motor today after warming up the tires I do have to say thanks to my boss Hoss at Hollywood east classics in Halifax ma if it was for him and this would not be happening so thank you for the sponsor ship and thanks for the help

Attachments

• IMG_20141122_145206096.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_20141122_111246702.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 148
-
Back