Demon Wiring Problem.....Wierd...Help!

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
I have a '72 Demon......Had the tranny resealed at the shop, and discovered that the turn signals didn't work (when I bought the car, they did).

I've tested this thing front back and sideways..... The fuse for the back-up lights & Radio blows every time I turn the ignition on. I unplugged the old radio, and it still blows. I checked the back-up wires for pinches or shorts, and can find none so far. The power block for the fuse that blows also runs 2 other circuits that are not affected. I deduce that the problem MUST be in that red wire with the white stripe SOMEWHERE along the line.

I can isolate the problem, and even run a new wire for the back-ups....BUT, my most important question is this.........Will this short affect my TURN SIGNALS?

The four ways work, and I have power running through the turn switch when they are running. The brake lights work, as do the tails. NO TURNS. NOT EVEN A GLIMMER. The indicators do not work, the flasher does not click, and the bulbs do not light up at all.

What in the world am I up against here? Anyone with experience in these types of problems, Please get back to me.............The car is just about finished, and I'd like to drive it.....BUT, can't without the turns. When I activate the switch, I get no power to any of the switches terminals, either on the front or around the back.

Let me know what you come up with here............ Doc

This may sound weird but it worked on my Dart Sport when I had the same problem. The previous owner installed a Grant steering wheel. I had no blinkers at all. Looked over and over at my diagrams and noticed that the horn ground was not hooked up to the bolt below the steering column cover. Believe it or not that was my problem. As far as the popping fuse issue goes, can't help you there yet. Good luck
Jason

I isolated the circuit for the radio/back-ups, and ran a new wire direct..... no more shorts, but the back-ups stay on......I'll have to check the safety switch in the shift linkage I guess, UNLESS someone has a better idea. Again, we clipped the back-ups distribution hot wire in the box, and ran a new wire direct to the back-ups. As soon as the ignition is keyed, the back-ups come on and stay on.....perhaps we bypassed the reverse switch (?).

The turns, as luck would have it, are not working AFTER we installed a new Grant steering wheel............just like yours. After the rain clears, I'll go out and experiment with the grounds in the column.

Thanks................ Doc

No go on the ground wire.....I can't find anything wrong inside the column where the switch is........I have power to the switch contacts when the 4 ways are on, but nothing happens when we use the turn signal......totally dead.

Is the switch fed power through a different route than the 4 ways? This makes no sense........ I've never run across a totally dead turn circuit for no apparent reason.

Help me out if you can here guys......................... Doc

-
Back