Denso Alternator Upgrade Info

-

GoodysGotaCuda

Mr. Goody
Reaction score
Justa random information post on anyone looking to up their charging systems.

I have done the M.A.D AMP gauge bypass to my car, which I'd definately recommend on a stock system and wouldn't even consider upgrading it without bypassing the AMP gauge. I took off my stock replacement 50amp alternator this morning and replaced it with my junkyard denso alternator i picked up from a Ramcharger.

100_0589.gif

Brand new these alternators run in the $160+ range, so i took my chance for $25 at the junkyard. Alternator passed at the local parts store and is currently working on the car just fine.

The alt i have and my factory brackets bolted up just fine. I did need to run a shorter belt, and slightly trim the output lug to make sure i had plenty of clearance between the block and the stud, nothing major however. The two field wires from the stock setup just need to have ring terminals crimped on the end to run a denso style alt, the placement does not matter. And also the factory voltage regulator is still used.

For safety/overkill purposes I am running a 80amp Circuit Breaker that runs about $35-40, usually availible from most Boat/Marine stores within a couple days of ordering. I also went from 10gauge with the stocker, to 6gauge wire at the output. The RamCharger i had could have easily came with the optional 120amp denso (which of course i wish it was) but it was the standard 90. With a 120 I'd suggest 4gauge wire, and a 110ish AMP breaker.

100_0787.gif

100_0789.gif

Just a random information post for anyone that was interested. I can help with any questions the best i can or get any needed pictures :thumbup:

-Mike

Good on you Goody. :) Nice pics and great information. That's what I really love about this site, guys take the time to share their experiences and knowledge. :salute:

thats a good deal and good info!
can i find one of these alternators on any newer truck or van?
will the brackets from those cars work on an older engine?
my brackets are homemade crap that is basicly useless and i have been thinking of getting a newer alternator with the right brackets from my local junkyard but its not often i find anyting usefull there :(

duster340 said:
thats a good deal and good info!
can i find one of these alternators on any newer truck or van?
will the brackets from those cars work on an older engine?
my brackets are homemade crap that is basicly useless and i have been thinking of getting a newer alternator with the right brackets from my local junkyard but its not often i find anyting usefull there :(

I pulled mine off a late 80s/early 90s mopars. The motor i pulled this alternator off of had some wierd big huge bracket setup. I wouldnt recommend running it. However...My brackets are originals, if you find at a junkyard (which you should be able to) a small block mopar w/o a/c and steal those alternator brackets and the alternator off the newer truck...you should have the same setup i have :salute:

Hey Goody, two questions. What is the M.A.D. amp gauge bypass? And where did you get the heavier engine to firewall ground strap?

dustertogo said:
Hey Goody, two questions. What is the M.A.D. amp gauge bypass? And where did you get the heavier engine to firewall ground strap?

Heres the mad bypass

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

That monster braided strap is from Summit, it was about $7. I have zero ground issues with my battery in the trunk. The batter is grounded to a frame bolt, to the body, i run a solid motor mount which will tie the motor to the frame, and also that body/motor strap. :thumbup:

-
Back