Deposits on parts

-
Lately it seems no one wants the part till someone puts a deposit on it. Then I have 2 or 3 ppl wanting it that will pay up right now. So part is on hold till the so called buyer says ya or nay. Kim

First one that shows up with cash gets it. No whining no holdsies..

i sent a guy $100 before he would deliver a truck. He offered to deliver. For the $100.
Said what if i didnt want it after i see it. I said cool. Keep the 100.
I like my new 51 Fargo.
Was money well spent.

A young lady friend wanted to buy a car listed online,called guy and offered a deposit. He said no. So poor girl hops several buses to get to see car and dude sells it 10 minutes before she shows up. Knew she was on way but sold it anyway.

talking to customer/buyer will usually weed out the ones you dont want to deal with.
Same with new customers here.
Couple minutes on phone and i have a good idea where i stand.

Make it ez on the seller and buyer.
First one that delivers the money gets the product.
No deposits,
No partial payments,

Selling cars? Guy calls and wants to come look, so I ask when will you arrive?? Usually he is at least a couple hours away. And I say, please call if something comes up and you can not come, please.
So I wait how many hours for the guy to show?? and he never shows nor calls!?
I like buying hate selling!

First one that shows up with cash gets it. No whining no holdsies..

i sent a guy $100 before he would deliver a truck. He offered to deliver. For the $100.
Said what if i didnt want it after i see it. I said cool. Keep the 100.
I like my new 51 Fargo.
Was money well spent.

A young lady friend wanted to buy a car listed online,called guy and offered a deposit. He said no. So poor girl hops several buses to get to see car and dude sells it 10 minutes before she shows up. Knew she was on way but sold it anyway.

talking to customer/buyer will usually weed out the ones you dont want to deal with.
Same with new customers here.
Couple minutes on phone and i have a good idea where i stand.

She said she was on her way, but that doesn't mean she was. (as far as the seller knows)
I used to know a guy that would tell me on the phone he would be over in 15 minutes and we would go hunting.
Two/three days later I would see him somewhere and he would say he had other things he had to do.
Point is, people say they are going to do something and they don't.
Way too many people like that.

i like to stay in touch with people i buy stuff from
if we make a deal that ill be there on friday night, you can expect a call on friday morning, to make sure you didnt sell what i wanted to buy (not that you dont have a right to, but i dont want to spend 3 hours in a car to find out)

then you can expect another call about 15 minutes before im there, at which point you can feel free to ask for a landmark to verify im not full of it

Lately it seems no one wants the part till someone puts a deposit on it. Then I have 2 or 3 ppl wanting it that will pay up right now. So part is on hold till the so called buyer says ya or nay. Kim
Are you serious? Why would someone go shopping for something they don’t have the cash to pay for? And why do you spend your time entertaining them? If someone offers to pay the full price later, that is a deal breaker. Just tell them to contact you when they have the money, and if the part is still available you will be happy to sell it to them.
I can see the point of helping other car enthusiasts and supporting the hobby, but don’t set your self up as a charity for folks that may just be taking advantage of your good nature.

Last edited:
What does the FABO crowd think on this subject? This year I have stated that any deposit I take on parts is non refundable. I also put a time limit on when the part has to be paid for. I don’t mind taking a couple of payments on big ticket items. How long do u guys/gals think a guy/gal should hold a part for with the non refundable deposit? What about if/when a guy/gal misses a payment? Do/should they forfeit the money and part then? Thanks. Kim. Thanks. Kim
It depends on the item.
I think you either agree on a time frame and allot a reasonable grace period and then if it doesnt pan out... just give the money back.
You will look better in the end for it . At most maybe less 10% for reserving it and turning down offers in the meantime. At what $$ do you implement that fee is up to you.
I don't mind waiting.. mostly cause I dont sell because I have to. I sell because I want to.
I think the people who have dreams beyond their means is more what needs addressed...and honesty. **** does happen.People do hit rough spots.
Be upfront, if you NEED it gone...tell the buyer that. Overall...be reasonable.
Patience is a virtue.

Non-refundable deposit, agreed upon. Only on original asking price. And an agreed expiration time period.

Yup, that’s how it is. They say it will be paid by a certain date, then it better be. I suppose there could be extenuating circumstances. If there is, the truth is always better than a lie. Kim

Still going good. Also had a couple of members ask for a price shipped and paid PayPal even b4 I had them packed up to ship. Thanks guys. Kim

-
Back