Devilbiss paint guns

-

gliderider06

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So, I have the finish line 3 series gun and was thinking of upgrading to a better gun. I am gettint to where I do about 2 overall paint jobs a year. I have mainly used a HF gun and it does ok except for the clear. That is where the FL-3 comes into play. I have read that if you use the aircap from a Milinniun GTI gun, you essentially convert the finish line into the GTI, when using the 1.3 tip. Does anyone have any knowledge on this of have both guns that they can verify that the aircaps work before I get one?

If not, do you have a suggestion on a good gun to get, for spraying clear. I do not want to wetsand and buff for weeks to remove the orange peel thatthe cheap guns are giving me.
Thanks!

Here is a different angle: What does the product data sheet,from the paint supplier recommend? And,what paint system& color? No one here knows ,if you have painted before(?).Experience helps. Swapping parts on guns?.....

Or find the data sheet for the Devilbiss gun you're looking at. Then look and see what fluid and air caps, needle sets are available for it. Not sure if you can just change one without the others. I have a Binks Mach One where I was able to change just the air cap to one that doesn't need the big compressor. But I looked at the data sheet for the gun to make my decision.

I looked at the data sheets as suggested. The GTI cap uses less air psi, and has a wider angle as well. I have worked in body shops in the past, took a career change w/ the Military and now do this as a hobby and extra money. I paint about 2 cars a year now and various parts. I use BC/CC system tht I can get at Napa which is usually Sherm/williams and Finish 1 products with good results.
Thanks!

Having the paint/clear mixed just right for the conditions your spraying in helps heaps.

I had a 'biss for about 3 years almost 10 years ago and once I got the newest Craftmens industrial gun (not sure of its name or any of that now its been to long) I haven't looked back. this gun I know I'll have to replace some day but so far, I get to paint around 3 to 4 cars/trucks a year and it hasn't failed yet, I do however keep a good supply of needle valves and seals around for rebuilds......I can however still get parts for it, locally and I bought this thing when I was still in PA! So.....

When I get to my truck, it will be the gun I paint it with anyway!

Sure a good gun helps w/ the orange peel look but, the type of product, the air temp.in the booth, the air pressure from the gun, how much clear you put on between coats, it all comes into play when it comes to how much orange peel. I have used several different name brands of guns & I think parts will interchange within the same brand of gun. I use a gun with a 1.3 tip for clear & base. The bigger the number the heavier the material you can spray. 1.4 1.7 ect. I buy my guns at TCP GLOBAL they have all brands at a good price. They range from $80.00 to $400.00 An expensive gun doesn't always mean a better job. O & by the way HVLP is the way to go.

-
Back