Devilblis L660v compressor?

-

75slant6

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I've got a chance to buy a L660V compressor (minus motor) for $100. Does anyone know anything about these? Is it a deal worth going after or should I get something else? Right now I only need a compressor to air up tractor/skidloader tires so I was looking for something around a 30 gallon for $100-200 then I saw this one and figured if it's worth getting I wouldn't have to upgrade to a bigger one later

IMG_2606.JPG
IMG_2605.JPG

I guess it all depends if you have a motor or not. To me its a deal, but i have a brand new 2 hp leeson in the shed. And a control box to run it. If it still has pressure switch you might do ok.
Its about what i have, almost big enough.

Devilbiss used to be a really good name brand. I don't know about now, though. If the pump works, it does have a 60 gal vertical tank, so it has good volume and doesn't take up a lot of floor space. It will probably cost about $300 for a motor, pressure switch, and magnetic controller. It would probably cost about $1000 for comparable new setup.

I BOUGHT A STAND UP COMPRESSOR AT HARBOR FREIGHT ABOUT 11 YEARS AGO AND IT IS STILL RUNNING GREAT. NOW WITH A COUPON YOU CAN GET ONE FOR ABOUT $150. WHY CHASE PARTS AND PRAY IT WORKS WHEN YOU ARE DONE FIXING IT. MINE TAKES UP ABOUT 2 SQUARE FEET IF THAT MUCH. THIS WAY YOU GET A BRAND NEW ONE WITH A WARRANTY.

I BOUGHT A STAND UP COMPRESSOR AT HARBOR FREIGHT ABOUT 11 YEARS AGO AND IT IS STILL RUNNING GREAT. NOW WITH A COUPON YOU CAN GET ONE FOR ABOUT $150. WHY CHASE PARTS AND PRAY IT WORKS WHEN YOU ARE DONE FIXING IT. MINE TAKES UP ABOUT 2 SQUARE FEET IF THAT MUCH. THIS WAY YOU GET A BRAND NEW ONE WITH A WARRANTY.
You know who size/model you have?

I have a thing about noise. 150 dolla compressor better be in the neighbour's garage. Direct drive is unbearably loud. And wouldnt stand up to daily use.

I just bought this exact compressor in near new condition for 500$ and I think it was a great buy
Could you do me a favor and snap a pic of the motor info tag on yours? And maybe a few pics from different angles so I can see if anything else is missing when/if I go look at this one?

i bought that same air america compressor at sams club 25 years ago and still using it all the time. will run da sander alright, but runs continually. you can go to harbor freight and check out their 3 hp electric motors, not the best, but you could at least use it. dave.

Depends on what you do. I do a lot of paint and bodywork so for me an old wore out pump that puts oil in the air lines is a concern for me and a 60g would barely keep up without running it to death. I would question if it it was the motor that got robbed to go on something else and its the pump that's actually what's bad. Motor, some belts, maybe a pressure switch and you're halfway to a new one. On a 6hp 220v compressor a cheapy 15/20a pressure switch is not going to get it done and a dedicated 30a line to power it.

Last edited:
Here is the problem with buying an old compressor like that. The tanks rust out from the inside out. You have no way of knowing what shape the tank is in. Did the prior owner(s) drain the tank daily? If the tank is weakened with rust, it could literally blow up on you. IMHO, It's not worth the risk.

Big enough but a bit risky not knowing the condition of the head. A motor install will be time and money. Too close to new for my thinking.

Thanks everybody. I think I'll pass on it and maybe get a 20-30 gallon one from harbor freight for now then when I get ready to do the body/paint work on my Duster I can upgrade to an 80 gallon IR from tractor supply (then wait to buy it till they run one of their 15% off sales) or something similar

Thanks everybody. I think I'll pass on it and maybe get a 20-30 gallon one from harbor freight for now then when I get ready to do the body/paint work on my Duster I can upgrade to an 80 gallon IR from tractor supply (then wait to buy it till they run one of their 15% off sales) or something similar
I have a 60 gal vertical 2-stage IR compressor, which I bought about 10 years ago. I haven't had any trouble with it at all. Fairly quiet, too.

-
Back