Diagnosing 7-1/4" rear end noise

-

DaisyDart

Reaction score
I am trying to determine where this noise is coming from. I feel like it is coming from the carrier, the noise can be heard from both sides ( spider gears? ) ..Can anyone confirm? Please see video.
Thank you

It's hard to tell anything by the clip. But when you have the rear end in the air and are running it like you are the spiders inside will make a bunch of noise anyway. You may have to tear it apart and check everything out.

These tears are notorious for the bearings going bad in my experience. If it's a constant roar... That's likely your problem. Go somewhere safe and turn it under 30-40 mph. Corner it with some side force. Then go the other way. If the nice gets worse cornering... Wheel bearings.

They are good little rears for low horsepower. They are low friction too.

The diff itself on the road is quiet. I popped the cover to have a closer look inside and I found that the pin that holds the spider gears appears to wiggle when you move the carrier around, is it normal that this pin has enough room to wiggle like this? When I pass my finger over the hole you can feel a raised edge around where the pin sits, like the metal has been stretched. Please have a look at these 2 videos, look closely at the pin, the clicking noise is fluid being squished between the pin and the carrier. The spider gears also wiggle around a fair amount. Is my carrier damaged?

Pin movement

Spider gear movement

No it is not normal, but what you have is a rear with a lot of wear and tear on it. Axle gear s and the axle splines themselves show a lot of wear also. Probably will still give you years of service life as long as you don't beat on it.

If my axle bearings don't fix my roar here in a minute... I'm going to change the diff lube and run it. And just pray it doesn't lock up and crash me before I put the 8.75 in it this winter.

-
Back