Did Factory Use Insulation in this Cowl Area?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Underneath the cowl and above the heater box and such (see photos). Thank you.

cowl insultaion q2.JPG

cowl insultation q1.JPG

Nope, the factory insulation was only against the fire wall. I put insulation against the fire wall similar to what you have done.

Thanks. I was watching "Graveyard Cars" and saw Dave gluing on some thick gray felt-looking stuff in that area, but that was on a Bbody.

Yea not on early A's that I have seen. All 4 of my early A cars had no insulation there. A 64 and 2 65 Barracudas and a 66 Valiant (Canadian version).

Of course the OP can always put some there, especially since he's not using the factory style firewall insulation anyway.

Remember the early A bodies were the low priced cars in the line up so they didn’t get the better insulation package the the C bodies did . But one could add more and make it more like a C body .

if you're not doing a restoration, why wouldn't you do the cowl?

If you put anything there, I would do the same as you have elsewhere and not use something like actual insulation that can hold moisture.

Remember the early A bodies were the low priced cars in the line up so they didn’t get the better insulation package the the C bodies did . But one could add more and make it more like a C body .

I don't like ANY of the original type insulation as it holds moisture and causes rust. I wouldn't even use the factory "correct" insulation on a 100% restoration.

-
Back