did i get the wrong parts?

-

slantscamp

Reaction score
did i get the qrong part? i ordered all my front end parts from p-s-t. the idler arm on the right is my original. the one on the left is what they sent me. is this a new design that will work? or just someone giving me the wrong stuff like usual.

P6230884.JPG

Looks can be deceiving. I'd measure them, including the drop and see how they compare. It may even work better clearnig certain models of header collectors, who knows?

well ive been doing some research and it looks like in 73 they went to the design on the left. which would be fine and dandy since my car is a 75. but for some reason my car has the older style on it. this project is becoming frustrating. two different length strut rods, bent frame, wrong year idler arm on my car. kinda scares me away from putting anymore money into this thing. how can i check if i have the correct year centerlink on my car. or if its a 72 or older centerlink. im assuming someone just pieced this thing back together at some time.

The change in '73 was to the large sector steering box. So if that is in fact the case, then you're right - somebody's put some old parts in there at some point. I cannot image why they would do that though, because the large sector boxes are far more common and less expensive. Unless they actually did rebuild the entire front end using an older donor car for some reason.

my 72 demon has the whole front suspension off a 73 and up A body, which is good because all parts like ball joints are larger and more heavy duty! It makes it fun when I ordered front end kit for a 72 and nothing matched.
Jared

i reall appreciate these replies guys, since this has stopped me dead in my tracks as far as making progress today. i just read on a moparchat forum that another change from the 72 to 73 centerlink was that in 72 the idler and pitman arm came from the bottom and in 73 up it comes in through the top. if this is true, mine were coming in through the top. to maybe someone just put the wrong idler arm in.

well i went to the junkyard real quick to look at a 70 swinger. the centerlink was totally different. so im pretty sure i have the correct centerlink. it looked like the idler arm on that car had a bigger offset to it and it mounted from the bottom. the one i have doesnt have that much of an offset to it. i dont know if i just got a wierd part from the factory. i will put this new one on and see how it works.

well i went to the junkyard real quick to look at a 70 swinger. the centerlink was totally different. so im pretty sure i have the correct centerlink. it looked like the idler arm on that car had a bigger offset to it and it mounted from the bottom. the one i have doesnt have that much of an offset to it. i dont know if i just got a wierd part from the factory. i will put this new one on and see how it works.

Well at least your ball joint stud on it is facing in the same direction. I did a swap from a 69 to 70 and was fighting to get things back together until I noticed the "pitman arm" stud faced down rather then up. That puts a :stop: to things. Just another MOPAR moment. Put your new parts lightly together and ensure you have full movements without binding or hitting anything.

yeah, thats what i couldnt figure out. the idler arm that was on there looks like the older style. but if it was the older style that would mean that it would have the ball joint on the other side since it would mount from below. maybe its just something wierd from the factory. you know how that goes.

-
Back