Did I screw up Edy's>R/T's

-

65BCODA

Reaction score
I'm at a cross roads at the moment, I know your supposed to make a plan and stick to it but having second thoughts now.
Was planning on using the Edy magnums(58 cc chamber) so purchased -20 dish diamonds = 10.6:1
After some more research I feel the R/T head would be more bang for the buck, performance wise and in the wallet.
With the pistons already bought and installed in block, my concern is the CR being to high 10.2:1 +/- for a steel head.
Plan on burning premium and some oct booster, is this do able for a street motor or am I just trying to fool myself ??
My #'s may be off a little but close
Any and all input would be appreciated

That compression is probably on the borderline for pump gas, but it will also depend what cam you are going to run.

Are the R/T's open or closed chamber heads? That makes a big difference. Closed chambered heads will tolerate more compression. 10.2 is pretty high for open chambered heads but do-able with closed chambers. Like Sterling said the cam affects things too. A long duration cam will bleed off cyl pressure making the engine seem like a lower compression engine. That's why you need high compression for large cams.

One member here runs stock magnum heads on a 360 with 10.6-1 compression and only a 268 cam and says it runs fine on 89 octane.

BTW: My 360 is 9.9-1 compression and I'm running open chambered X heads but I do have a fairly large cam for the street. Runs just fine on 91 octane with 34 degrees of timing. I even took the timing up to 36 degrees once but it didn't run any better so I backed it back to 34 degrees. Even at 36 degrees it didn't spark knock.

I would stick to your plan. I dint think you'll have any trouble if the cam is matched right. But I'd stick with RPM Magnums over R/Ts. $.02

Thanks for the input guys,....Talked to Bobby,BJR, about the issues and back in the game

Fishy68, yes they are closed chamber heads.

The R/Ts have a nice chamber and will give you could quench so you would likely be ok with pump gas but I would go with the RPM Magnums.

-
Back