Did I smoke the ignition Module in the distributor?

-

aengineguy

Reaction score
I went to do my initial start on very expensive 408 with solid lifter cam. Besides all the other typical checks and preps, a few times I checked to see if I was getting good spark. Even had the distributor out with wires laying on the intake....key on, rotated distributor and spark everywhere. Went to start and cranked more than I wanted to, with no fire. Pulled #1 plug with wire attached, grounded plug and cranked to check for spark, nothing. Pulled dist. and rotated with wires on the intake nothing. Did the distributor module check test outlined by Mallory....failed. I did do Mallory's test for the Hyfire through the coil.......good spark out of the coil wire. I have ordered a new module and will try again. Did I do something to cause the module to go bad???:banghead:

Mallory Hyfire 6AL
Mallory MBI #42 distributor
Mallory 30440 e core coil
MSD 8.5 spiral wrapped wires
All hooked up meticulously in accordance with their instructions.

Thanks.........!!

Yes, if you did not use a wire to ground the distributor body, and also ground each plug thread. It is also important to rotate the distributor counter clock wise from the bottom, so that from the top top down it moves clock wise. If that is not done correctly the phase will be off, and open spark may occur. It is simpler to use one plug at coil and not use cap, rotor and wires.

Did you get shocked in your test?

My guess it is time for a new module.

Yes, rotor was installed. Did not get shocked, probably fortunate, done that before with a Super Coil. Did rotate CCW from the bottom. Kind of ironic, I talked to Mallory and the tech said that this should have been OK and not detrimental to do this........Hmmm!

Thanks guys.

And why it may fail: Without the distributor grounded, an out of phase spark may find ground at the electronics, in a way that hits below the belt. The good news is it prevented you from being shocked, the bad news is the module died.

It is wise to ground the distributor with a flexible wire. With the distributor o-ring seal as an insulator, and clamp loose for adjusting timing, it is possible for loss of ground.

This is important for any electronic distributor. Even if it seems cause no damage, early failure may happen in time.

-
Back