Did my axle tube twist?

-

340 Dart

I don't know ****.
Reaction score
On my 75 Dart I noticed the rear spring on the passenger side was flattened out a little and the car was sitting funny. I jacked it up to take a closer look and it appears the axle tube has rotated forward on just that one side.

Did I break something here? Is this something I can fix myself?

This rear is an 8 1/4 with a suregrip.

Need pictures. Did the welds break at the center section or did the tube actually twist? Are the spring perches still facing the same way?

The spring perches are at an angle now on that side.

I painted the axle a couple of years ago and to the right and left of the diff cover there is a thumb sized hole that you can see the axle tube through. On the drivers side there is still paint down in this hole, on the passenger side it is fresh metal now.

I have never heard of this happening to anyone and didn't know it was even possible. How can I rotate this back? How is it held in? Welds, pins, does it screw on?

I would have to say that you did indeed twist the axle tube. I would take the leaf spring loose from that side and let the axle down until it is hitting on the floor. Get a big pipe wrench and see if you can turn it until the paint matches up again and weld it around the tube and diff housing. Heck if it moved one time I don't see why it wouldn't move back to its original location.

That's the most common problem you'll see with an 8.25 after you start applying enough torque to it.

Thanks guys. I was hoping I could fix it myself.

I guess if I can't turn it back, I could just weld it there, cut the old perch off and put a new perch on it in the correct location.

Anybody see anything wrong with this?

Thanks guys. I was hoping I could fix it myself.

I guess if I can't turn it back, I could just weld it there, cut the old perch off and put a new perch on it in the correct location.

Anybody see anything wrong with this?

It would change the angle of the wheel cylinder. Depending on how much, it might make it difficult to bleed. I'd do my best to twist it back to how it's supposed to be. Maybe a good burnout in reverse? :angel9:

I would start looking for a 8.75 if it was me. You are making a lot of torque to do that to the axle.

This can happen and it is not only limited to 8 1/4's, 8.8's in Mustangs it is very common as the power goes up and I have also seen a Dana 60 do it once, it was poorly welded at the factory.

Chuck

Well I put a big pipe wrench on it...............No luck.
I pounded on the big pipe wrench................No luck.
I used a huge cheater bar and no luck.

I ended up putting it back together (which was a B@ch!!)
and using 64 cudas suggestion and torquing on it in reverse. It worked!!!!! Thanks Man!

So the tube just twisted in the centersection? Wow the reverse fixed it where a pipe wrench and piece of pipe wouldn't. It must have been stuck pretty good. Weld the hell out of it now!

Well I put a big pipe wrench on it...............No luck.
I pounded on the big pipe wrench................No luck.
I used a huge cheater bar and no luck.

I ended up putting it back together (which was a B@ch!!)
and using 64 cudas suggestion and torquing on it in reverse. It worked!!!!! Thanks Man!

I'm glad you got it fixed.

I would have never thought of torquing it back around in reverse.

-
Back