Did People Tint Windows in mid - late 70s?

-
Dont forget to paint the brake drums and everything else underneath with fluorescent paint (orange, pink, yellow, blue, or green), and then put little lights under the fender wells to bring out the color at night. That's what they used to do around here before neon came out - lol.

Oh yeah, and also dont forget the fun fur in the back window.

Those are both something else I've seen and always thought was weird. Especially painting the whole rearend and everything the flourescent colors or even bright white. What was up with that?

Those are both something else I've seen and always thought was weird. Especially painting the whole rearend and everything the flourescent colors or even bright white. What was up with that?

I also forgot to mention the endless line and lace tablecloth paint jobs, too.

Speaking of painting, an old painting technique that's probably still done, was called smoking the paint. Use to see it done back in the late 60's, especially to custom paint jobs on motorcycle tanks.

If I remember right; While the paint was still wet, you light an acetylene torch and cut back on the oxygen, and wave the smoke to highlight your tank.

I recall tinting film being available from the mid-70's. The first job I did was with silver reflective film. At night, with no lights on in the car, the stuff was nearly opaque. Stuff used to make the police nervous (rightly so). It did take a huge load of heat off the wagon in the summer.

By the time I did my second wagon in 1983, laws were on the books that specified how opaque the tint could be. Reflective tint was verboten in Wisconsin by then.

I think Gila Window Films was the manufacturer of both products I used. They are still in business. The film goes on like an adhesive decal. If you decide to go with film, do not use cleaners with ammonia. Ammonia dissolves the glue and creates bubbles you can never get out.

Speaking of painting, an old painting technique that's probably still done, was called smoking the paint. Use to see it done back in the late 60's, especially to custom paint jobs on motorcycle tanks.

If I remember right; While the paint was still wet, you light an acetylene torch and cut back on the oxygen, and wave the smoke to highlight your tank.

I had a 68 Dart GTS that I had a custom paint job put on back in the 70's. There were inserts in the side panels that were red with that smoke in them. Looked really cool. Wish I could find some pics.

-
Back