Did The Steering Shaft Swap Today

-

highflyer

Reaction score
Well when i got into it and removed the shaft from the p/s column no big deal with magazine article and people on this sites help...then did the manual colm and a little diff but no big deal..trouble started when i went to put power st shaft into man colmn...shaft not long enuf with lower clamp spring and bearing in place...then after measuring found total diff of colms to be 2-3 in diff..dependimg on how one measures.most of it being below the floor mting plate..with the man colm being longer while trying to put in a shorter shaft.then realized someone had already been in there.steering wheel nut beat up...no clamp although marks of one were there, no spring or lower bearing...shaft on lower end floated or wobbled around at lower end.. now how to fix...i could take it to work and cut the colm short enuf below floor plate to use and machine in new slots like factory or not use a lower bearing .on 74 p/s colm the bearing seated up inside a ways ..on 73 man colmn the bearing would ride at the end on a plastic plate..anyone faced this dilema,any help would be welcome help..

-
Back