Did they build a vinyl top 68 Barracuda FB?

-

moparman111

Reaction score
Okay, I am interested in a local car that has me stumped. Its a 68 Barracuda FB 4spd, console, AC car. To me that's a regular FB like my 67 but with one major difference. This car has rust in an unusual place. Up on the top of the 1/4's near the back glass. It also has the outline where molding was on it yrs ago to hold down the bottom edge of the top. The owner claims its an original AC/V-top car. I have never seen a vinyl top A-body barracuda let alone a FB. Can anyone tell me was that an option in 1968? Thank you

?????

All docs available seem to say no. 69 had an option but was not a full top. (last Pic)

Someone in the Dealer or Aftermarket was doing them.

Here is a example of a 68 and My 69 had similar trim on it. It fit all of the contours very well but you could tell the clips for the trim were not factory stuff. The aftermarket top also seemed to go all the way down the A-Pillar.

All of it on mine as since been removed..... Still have the trim and hardware if anyone is intrested.

The only one I have ever seen was on a '69 fb. IIRC, it was referred to as a slickback.

Vinyl tops were more common on the notchback coupes. 69 saw the addition of the paisley mod top to the solid palette of colors.

I am away from my texts at the moment, so can't say if the vinyl roof was available on the fb in MY 68. The Mod Top was definitely a 69 & 70 option only.

Guys the car I am looking at buying is definitely a 68. The vinyl and the trim are long gone on this one. All that is left is round button style clips to attach the trim. So now I know it is not a rare car. I thought I found a diamond in the rough:(

-
Back